• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Note also a video on Gold from AEP (but I can't view it...what's it like?): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/persona...-below-900.html

I think Ambrose is quite measured on gold. He asks whether we are at the beginning of a bigger mania or at the end of a run? He sees gold a little toppy now but also reckons we have not seen the end of this crisis. He believes that the politicians can not allow a disastrous debt deflation so the policy will be all about inflation. This he sees as obviously benefitting gold.

In a nutshell, he expects a bit of volatility before gold goes on another leg upward. I tend to agree.

Why don't you buy some US dollars at goldmoney the next time we see dollar weakness/pound strength? Then you will be in a much better position to buy gold on weakness.

Yes, I took my eye of the ball as I have some gbp bills to pay so thought that leaving it in gbp was no biggy. Lesson has been learnt...i hope!

Is there any gold inside Fort Knox, the world's most secure vault? - Times Online March 28, 2009

It is said to be the most impregnable vault on Earth: built out of granite, sealed behind a 22-tonne door, located on a US military base and watched over day and night by army units with tanks, heavy artillery and Apache helicopter gunships at their disposal.

Since its construction in 1937 the treasures locked inside Fort Knox have included the US Declaration of Independence, the Gettysburg Address, three volumes of the Gutenberg Bible and Magna Carta.

For several prominent investors and at least one senior US congressman it is not the security of the facility in Kentucky that is a cause of concern: it is the matter of how much gold remains stored there - and who owns it.

They are worried that no independent auditors appear to have had access to the reported $137 billion (£96 billion) stockpile of brick-shaped gold bars in Fort Knox since the era of President Eisenhower. After the risky trading activities at supposedly safe institutions such as AIG they want to be reassured that the gold reserves are still the exclusive property of the US and have not been used to fund risky transactions.

In other words, they want to be certain that the bullion has not been rendered as valueless as if a real-life Goldfinger had stolen it.

I suggest the two banks are increasing their net short positions :rolleyes:

http://www.gata.org/files/PIRATES-OF-THE-COMEX.pdf

Yes you are right (but 3 banks control gold!) and I think that PDF basically sums it all up for me!

I do think however that with each salvo the pirate banks are getting weaker. Gold and silver seem to me to bounce back a lot quicker these days. I am sure the ppt will have another go when "the twilight zone" opens up in an hour or so...

Yes you are right (but 3 banks control gold!) and I think that PDF basically sums it all up for me!

I do think however that with each salvo the pirate banks are getting weaker. Gold and silver seem to me to bounce back a lot quicker these days. I am sure the ppt will have another go when "the twilight zone" opens up in an hour or so...

Stocks Drop, Treasuries Gain as U.S. Warns on Banks, Carmakers

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

March 30 (Bloomberg) -- Stocks slumped, while Treasuries and the dollar gained, as the Obama administration warned that some banks will need more government aid and bankruptcy may be the best option for General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC.

Citigroup Inc. and Deutsche Bank AG fell more than 7 percent as U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said some banks will need “large amounts” of assistance. Daimler AG dropped 7.4 percent after an Obama administration official said GM and Chrysler must overhaul recovery plans to justify more aid. GM sank 21 percent in Germany. Aluminum Corp. of China Ltd. tumbled 12 percent as profit plunged and commodities retreated.

The MSCI World Index lost 1.5 percent to 812.69 at 12:23 p.m. in London, trimming its biggest monthly gain since 2003. The gauge of 23 developed countries has rebounded from its worst annual start on record as banks from Citigroup to JPMorgan Chase & Co. said they made money in the first two months of 2009 and Geithner unveiled plans to rid financial firms of toxic assets.

Someone is selling gold as a result of this news? And buying dollars and Yen.

At least something happened. It just does not feel right when gold gets stuck in the doldrums as the financial world melts down. :lol:

gold-1.gif

Didn't something like this happen previously just before Bernanke announced he would be buying his own debt with the blood of unborn babies?

Didn't something like this happen previously just before Bernanke announced he would be buying his own debt with the blood of unborn babies?

Don't worry... gold will have another good day and the last laugh no doubt. In the meantime, I might be able to afford to buy more. Honestly, it surprises me that more here are not wishing for a big dip in pog. Looks like lucky dip to me. :rolleyes:

Enjoy Boredom While It Lasts

By: Rick Ackerman, Rick's Picks

Gold’s Wild Card

Regarding gold, it has held up quite well so far despite a full-court press of happy talk from the Obama Administration and an absence of thoughtful scrutiny by the news media to rebut it. A wild card that could cause bullion to soar is the prospect of the dollar being unseated as the world’s reserve currency. This is being discussed as though the outcome were somehow speculative, and the Treasury Secretary remains in denial. However, we see the dollar’s fall from grace as inevitable, imposed on the U.S. by a world no longer willing to sustain an economy that consumes much, saves little and which has hocked its future till kingdom come. These are interesting times, for sure, and tedious markets may be as much relief as we’ll get for years to come.

http://news.goldseek.com/RickAckerman/1238408553.php

Looks like an ECG.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/rudd-needs-t...5l.html?page=-1

Fischer is a professor of history at Brandeis University in Massachusetts, in the US. He wrote an acclaimed book, Washington's Crossing, which Rudd read in the middle of last year. It's a 379-page account of George Washington's crossing of the Delaware River, the moment immortalised by the dramatic painting of a strikingly resolute Washington standing in a small boat of brave rebels, Washington Crossing The Delaware by Emanuel Leutze.

It's a celebrated moment because it was the turning point in the American rebellion against the British Empire. Rudd read it when he was waging his rebellion against the ruling empire of John Howard. The book is a wonderfully colourful narrative of a pivotal moment in the creation of the future superpower.

But the story also had something more to offer Rudd. As he said at the time: "I'm always interested in reading accounts of how people win against the odds. The American War of Independence is one of the greatest case studies of how a ragtag continental army defeated the professional forces of the British Empire."

Rudd, naturally, identified with the rebels. His insurrection, too, was a success, and he used a similar strategy to Washington of attacking an enemy at its strongest point, where it least expected to be hit.

Fischer, even before he discovered that Rudd was an appreciative reader, was a fan of Rudd's work: "I followed Kevin Rudd's progress and I was delighted at his success," Fischer said from his home in Massachusetts this week.

"I had no idea George Washington played a role in it."

Fischer also wrote the 1996 book The Great Wave: Price Revolutions And The Rhythm Of History, which contains his observations of movements in the prices of grain, silver and charcoal stretching back to the Middle Ages and his conclusion that there had been "four price revolutions since the 12th century: four very long waves of rising prices, punctuated by long periods of price-equilibrium."

This was not a cycle but a series of waves, each lasting between 80 years and 180 years. The fourth of those waves started in 1896 and, with some intermissions, is the one that continues to this day.

Each has had a similar pattern, Fischer says, and the bad news is that each of the earlier waves ended, shall we say, unhappily. "Finally, the great wave crested and broke with shattering force, in a cultural crisis that included demographic contraction, economic collapse, political revolution, international war and social violence. These events relieved the pressures that had set the price-revolution in motion."

When the book was published 12 years ago, inflation worldwide had seemed to be tamed, and Fischer could have argued that the collapse of the Soviet Union and the end of communism was the great convulsion that marked the end of the wave. He could have declared the episode over and gone on to his next project. But he was not convinced. In 1996 he wrote: "The price revolution of the 20th century has yet to reach its climax."

So how does he see today's events? "I think we are having a late surge in the wave that has been running for 112 years now. The 20th-century price-revolution didn't end - we never really went through a period of deflation. I think we could be entering a period of very sharp surges and declines, with increasing volatility."

This extra vulnerability has been a hallmark of the late phase of the other "great waves". On a chart, it looks like increasingly jagged ups and down, like the ECG readout of a patient going into a seizure.