• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

THE SHRILL OF ALL SHRILLS SAYS DONT DO WHAT I DO DO WHAT I SAY.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/soros-inc...rter-2010-11-15

Nov. 15, 2010, 5:26 p.m. EST

Soros increased gold positions in third quarter

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Soros Fund Management LLC, headed by George Soros, increased gold positions during the third quarter, according to a regulatory filing late Monday. Soros held 4,697,008 shares of the SPDR Gold Trust /quotes/comstock/13*!gld/quotes/nls/gld (GLD 132.93, +0.51, +0.39%) and 705,000 call options on the gold ETF at the end of September, the filing showed. Soros also owned 5,000,000 shares of the iShares Gold Trust /quotes/comstock/13*!iau/quotes/nls/iau (IAU 13.31, +0.06, +0.45%) at the end of the third quarter, according to the filing. Three months earlier, Soros held 5,244,697 shares of the SPDR Gold Trust, a portion of which was a shared position. The firm held no shares of the iShares Gold Trust at the end of June, according to the filing. Such regulatory filings don't include all positions held by investment firms. Many derivatives, direct commodity holdings and short positions aren't included.

In hindsight I think it was meant tongue in cheek, but the timing couldn't have been worse because of bickering earlier on in the week. Nevertheless, I lost my cool. Apologies to all for that.

Note to self: Don't post after 8 pints. :rolleyes:

I think hp has clearly made a mistake and will realise it when he reads back through the thread.

USDX is up @ 79.12. IMO it will top out at about 80 and then start it's decline which should send gold in USD higher.

A firmer U.S. dollar index on Tuesday morning is adding to downside price pressure in the precious metals.

Shake out CONmex style.!!!!!! :lol::lol:

Comex Gold Extends Losses as Futures Margins to Be Raised

http://www.kitco.com/reports/KitcoNews20101116JW_UPD.html

Gold Prices Tank as South Korea Ups Rates

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10921858/1/...-ups-rates.html

Stewart Thomson:

3. The conventional view in the public, and a view held by many institutional money managers, is that lower rates produce higher gold prices (correct), and higher rates produce lower gold prices. Well, sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. Sometimes higher rates produce an upside gold parabola.

4. On the second situation, higher rates and gold, in a commodity demand-related gold bull market, higher rates are a negative for the price of gold. In such a situation, gold functions as a commodity, and the economy gets higher prices as demand for goods increases. The cost of borrowing increases as the demand for loans increases because business conditions are solid. As the cost of borrowing rises, that hurts demand. Prices (int rates) for money and the price for goods both fall.

9. The history of institutional money flows in a currency and bond panic is a massive flow of liquidity into the stock market. Having said that, what do YOU think happens to the Gold Price Thermometer of global financial health what that occurs, or is thought to be about to occur? I don’t think most in the gold community really understand what just happened to the bond market, and what this event means for gold.

16. That initial shock on gold is going to involve the wrong view by institutional money managers that higher rates are negative for gold. If the scenario plays out, it could cause a big hit on gold of hundreds of dollars to the downside, perhaps as much as $500, a massive handoff of gold, from the fundsters to the banksters. But what actually occurs is going to depend on how the banksters play out their Awakening Game.

17. The theory is that falling bond prices are positive for the US dollar, because a higher rate of interest attracts institutional capital. I want to draw your attention to the 1979 period of time, when the US dollar began to rally, and the floor traders and large speculators began to short gold, thinking they were about to make piles of free money. The banksters were on the other side of that gold trade. Long Gold. What happened? Gold accelerated its rise, while the US dollar itself surged higher. The (leveraged) gold top callers shorted more, sure the top had to be in. Instead, gold surged hundreds of dollars higher, frying Team Shorty Pants to a golden crisp.

18. Today, analysts are thinking that a declining bond market is a positive for the US dollar and a negative for gold. That’s the view the banksters want everyone to have. All is fine, all is A-ok. A-ok or Z-ok, what’s a few letters in the alphabet of difference? For the record, I’m in the things are Z-ok camp, and have been since Dec 1999, when I told my people to get out of the stock market and begin gold items accumulation. Arthur Ziekel, head of Merrill Lynch Asset Mgt at the time, said “it’s 1929 again”. Ironically, millions of Merrill clients said, “No, it’s wieners to the sky forever time”.

19. What you are witnessing here and now with Bill Gross’ investors is an instant replay in the bond market, of the stock market with Arthur Ziekel.

http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1289922503.php

Stewart Thomson:

16. That initial shock on gold is going to involve the wrong view by institutional money managers that higher rates are negative for gold. If the scenario plays out, it could cause a big hit on gold of hundreds of dollars to the downside, perhaps as much as $500, a massive handoff of gold, from the fundsters to the banksters. But what actually occurs is going to depend on how the banksters play out their Awakening Game.

24. Watch the gold price thermometer while buying solid amounts of gold stock into this weakness. Ignore the analysis of the 1424 top callers who don’t understand the real implications of the bond market implosion. Get on the buy as the losers liquidate their gold stock in failure this week. Buy it… before the banksters take it all!

24. Watch the gold price thermometer while buying solid amounts of gold stock into this weakness. Ignore the analysis of the 1424 top callers who don’t understand the real implications of the bond market implosion. Get on the buy as the losers liquidate their gold stock in failure this week. Buy it… before the banksters take it all!

Oh damn pix i have sold all my physical for some of those korean paper things i thought the raised interest yield was just far to attractive. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, this engineered event may well be the last chance to acquire physical at these prices. Interesting to know who is buying from the weak hands. There may be too many of 'them' lining up to buy which will prevent the price falling as far as was planned.

Until the Western world is out of this crisis, investors will be cautious chasing higher yields with the risk of sovereign debt defaults, contagion and the imposition of capital controls. I would question whether real interest rates are positive in any of these countries. Additionally, whilst posting collateral is now enforced in the CDS market, there is still a threat of disproportionate risk distribution across borders, especially as this market balloons exponentially as risk is `offset` and an international banking sector exists.

Also don't forget to factor in the long term suppression of gold and silver and the trading ratio of paper to physical gold is currently [45-100]:1. We may consolidate further but I think by Christmas this correction will be long forgotten.

Stewart Thomson:

3. The conventional view in the public, and a view held by many institutional money managers, is that lower rates produce higher gold prices (correct), and higher rates produce lower gold prices. Well, sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. Sometimes higher rates produce an upside gold parabola.

4. On the second situation, higher rates and gold, in a commodity demand-related gold bull market, higher rates are a negative for the price of gold. In such a situation, gold functions as a commodity, and the economy gets higher prices as demand for goods increases. The cost of borrowing increases as the demand for loans increases because business conditions are solid. As the cost of borrowing rises, that hurts demand. Prices (int rates) for money and the price for goods both fall.

9. The history of institutional money flows in a currency and bond panic is a massive flow of liquidity into the stock market. Having said that, what do YOU think happens to the Gold Price Thermometer of global financial health what that occurs, or is thought to be about to occur? I don’t think most in the gold community really understand what just happened to the bond market, and what this event means for gold.

17. The theory is that falling bond prices are positive for the US dollar, because a higher rate of interest attracts institutional capital. I want to draw your attention to the 1979 period of time, when the US dollar began to rally, and the floor traders and large speculators began to short gold, thinking they were about to make piles of free money. The banksters were on the other side of that gold trade. Long Gold. What happened? Gold accelerated its rise, while the US dollar itself surged higher. The (leveraged) gold top callers shorted more, sure the top had to be in. Instead, gold surged hundreds of dollars higher, frying Team Shorty Pants to a golden crisp.

18. Today, analysts are thinking that a declining bond market is a positive for the US dollar and a negative for gold. That’s the view the banksters want everyone to have. All is fine, all is A-ok. A-ok or Z-ok, what’s a few letters in the alphabet of difference? For the record, I’m in the things are Z-ok camp, and have been since Dec 1999, when I told my people to get out of the stock market and begin gold items accumulation. Arthur Ziekel, head of Merrill Lynch Asset Mgt at the time, said “it’s 1929 again”. Ironically, millions of Merrill clients said, “No, it’s wieners to the sky forever time”.

19. What you are witnessing here and now with Bill Gross’ investors is an instant replay in the bond market, of the stock market with Arthur Ziekel.

Wow ! 90% in precious metals.

That looked smart a week or two ago. I wonder how it will look in 2-3 months,

and when we reach January 2011, when Jim Sinclair has "promised" everyone $1650 Gold?

Even more over here. :)

The people who have advised to buy PMs a long time ago have been proven 100% right so far. And the system is further coming apart at the seems (see EUR-zone). There are a lot of top-callers coming out of the woods now. It seems somewhat mainstream to advise to take (paper) profits in gold. That advise is very dangerous IMHO, given that the US and Europe continue to fall apart from a financial point of view and given that the only answer seems to bve money printing.

Parting with any gold or silver bullion right now would be pure madness.

EDIT: Over the shorter term, the paper price of bullion is somewhat irrelevant. I would continue to add to existing positions. As I said, we are right in a system/systemic meltdown. It has never been more obvious than now. That paper cash has any in fact value right now is somewhat surreal.

Even more over here. :)

The people who have advised to buy PMs a long time ago have been proven 100% right so far. And the system is further coming apart at the seems (see EUR-zone). There are a lot of top-callers coming out of the woods now. It seems somewhat mainstream to advise to take (paper) profits in gold. That advise is very dangerous IMHO, given that the US and Europe continue to fall apart from a financial point of view and given that the only answer seems to bve money printing.

Parting with any gold or silver bullion right now would be pure madness.

EDIT: Over the shorter term, the paper price of bullion is somewhat irrelevant. I would continue to add to existing positions. As I said, we are right in a system/systemic meltdown. It has never been more obvious than now. That paper cash has any in fact value right now is somewhat surreal.

Im all in except about 10k which will go in on a dip. This is not really a dip. I want to see much lower prices before I buy some more G&S. Why would I want to swap some of my metals for some recently created digits? Id like to buy property but that is still too expensive even priced in G&S. My advice (learnt the hard way!) look at a five year chart of gold and judge for yourself if it was best to trade or just buy and hold. Oh and look at the so called dip too!

If the short term paper price of gold is irrelevant, why do people get so excited about both immediate rises and falls in the price? First we get the rocket pictures as it breaks to the upside, and then opposite emotions on the downside.

If the longer term price of gold was the most relevant, then I reckon the emotional rollercoaster would be smoothed out as the pace/ rate of gold's appreciation was focused on. A further focus could be on why the pace is what it is. So far this has shown to be consistently 20% odd a year [it was due a correction]. Given this rate, paper cash [or what most accept as money] is obviously depreciatng against gold, yet at a pace which is showing it to be a lot more resilient to depreciation than many had expected. I doubt this resilience is due to any "fundamental" properties that the dollar may possess... or lack, but is due instead to the way in which money works and functions practically for the mass of people.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-16/c...erald-says.html

China Considers Gradual Increase in Gold Reserve Holdings, Newspaper Says

China is considering gradually increasing the nation’s gold reserves, the 21st Century Business Herald reported today, citing an unidentified consultant to the government.