These derivatives figures include loads of double, triple, and even ten-fold counting,

because of the nature of Over-the-counter markets.

To explain what I mean in a few words, those figures count footprints, as well as the positions

that people are actually standing in.

I was thinking along the same lines and that's a nice way to put it.

I found the US$ 75 trillion value of all the real estate in the world interesting. US$ 75 trillion divided by 5 billion ounces of gold (approximate total mined) gives $15 000 per ounce.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

PPs Keep up the good work on commodity watch radio - is a very enjoyable listen. If you were not right so damn often I would probably have written you off as one of the left of centre doomsters. BUT as you are right so often ............................

Question - how do you find time for so much blogging and to get your investments right?

Dave

Thanks for that.

I'm a fulltime investor, so my "job" is researching the markets, a seeking an edge

Dollar is on the brink at the moment.

Agreed.

A jump thru $1,000 could come at any time now

Agreed.

A jump thru $1,000 could come at any time now

Or we could turn the other way. :unsure:

Either way, I'm sure your 'turn or break' moment will happen this week and I'm heavily inclined towards a move in gold's favour.

The picture at the moment simply isn't conducive to a dollar bounceback and it will take 'wonky' thinking on an epic scale to move the greenback higher.

Latest post from Brendon on HPC in the dead gold thread. The realization has set in that no one is using the old thread.

Hello all.

I certainly hope it hasn't died as I read it regularly to help gauge sentiment on my gold investments. I was quite surprised to see the general reaction of the posters to our actions to be honest. I know that a lot of complaints have been leveled against the moderation and some of the decisions we make on the forum but as someone not involved in the day to day moderation with an outside perspective I honestly believe that the moderators make good decisions in what is quite a tough environment for moderation.

There are a number of people who make quite frankly a huge effort to spam and promote their own interests on the forum without adding any kind of contribution to HPC of any worth and when we have to deal with that kind of thing every day in a fair way it is more difficult to assign resource to more important decisions like this.

I hope that those people I'm talking about, many of whom have multiple aliases and obviously far too much time on their hands will stop trying to ruin things for everyone else.

People come to HPC to read informed commentary on a huge range of issues and whilst I would prefer we had absolutely no moderation the forum is a highly contentious place as evidenced by the 27 solicitors letters I have received this year so far. Such is our commitment to open debate and free speech it is not uncommon for us to put our own companies funds at risk to defend posts which have been challenged without a proper legal basis often by very large corporations.

When we bought the web site we did it because we really liked it, it's not a huge money spinner for us and like everyone in the community who supports HPC we want to see it grow in popularity because it is such a unique place where we have learned so much and continue to learn every day because of the vibrancy of the community.

Over the course of the next few months we hope to make some changes that have been held back by our other work load to the forum which should build on the success of the site so far and take it to the next level.

I do hope we can count on the support of all the current and future members as we work on this and we will certainly put our ideas out for consultation before we implement them because we do care what you think.

They want the gold thread to popular again, but it's too late. Back on topic - looks like Gold ready to POP as the dollar is being taken out to the woodshed for a good old chopping.

Or we could turn the other way. :unsure:

Either way, I'm sure your 'turn or break' moment will happen this week and I'm heavily inclined towards a move in gold's favour.

The picture at the moment simply isn't conducive to a dollar bounceback and it will take 'wonky' thinking on an epic scale to move the greenback higher.

What was that gold stock you bought the other day? I looked back and I couldn't find it anymore - so many pages to check thru!!

What was that gold stock you bought the other day? I looked back and I couldn't find it anymore - so many pages to check thru!!

Its Royal Gold (Nasdaq RGLD).

I only topped up a few days ago, when it was below $30. Most of my holding was purchased last month for under $29. There's a thread on it in the mining section, and I believe it's one of Bubb's largest positions at the moment (correct me if I'm wrong Bubb).

To be fair, it's been lagging the price of gold pretty badly since I bought it, but I've decided to hang on with it at least until we breach $1000 gold. By most indicators it's massively undervalued and I was hoping to see around $40 per share for it when gold moved towards $1000. That's still a possibility if gold's next leg up holds.

Its Royal Gold (Nasdaq RGLD).

I only topped up a few days ago, when it was below $30. Most of my holding was purchased last month for under $29. There's a thread on it in the mining section, and I believe it's one of Bubb's largest positions at the moment (correct me if I'm wrong Bubb).

To be fair, it's been lagging the price of gold pretty badly since I bought it, but I've decided to hang on with it at least until we breach $1000 gold. By most indicators it's massively undervalued and I was hoping to see around $40 per share for it when gold moved towards $1000. That's still a possibility if gold's next leg up holds.

Just had a little nibble myself, with some more Goldcorp, and Minefinders.

Just had a little nibble myself, with some more Goldcorp, and Minefinders.

I emailed selftrade online uk brokers for info on certificates in my procession,i really want some junior mining company's under my belt and had picked some as well.

My question is after reading Jim Sinclair about making sure that one gets procession of certificates etc., is there any .company that could provided them, i am a bit paranoid at the thought of some broker sitting on my shares in his/her safe, and if the brokers/financial company's went bust, idon't want to be in line waiting on a bankruptcy judge to give me a couple of pence in a pound.

Me to selftrade

I was wondering if I could buy commodities (junior miners) in the U.S. and Canada and be able to hold onto my own certificates, if I opened an account with you.

I don’t mine paying the fee for the certificates to be in my procession, and I would be going long on the shares as well. 3-5 years.

Their reply; We are unable to deal in share certificates for international paper certificates therefore would not be able to help you with your request.

The dollar's dying today. Something massive must be sat on gold to be holding it down at the moment.

I read on Kitco's gold forum the other day that the IMF sell-off had begun. Nice and quiet . . . bit by bit . . .

Interesting article on Kitco today...

http://www.kitco.com/ind/Akerman/mar122008.html

Basically wonderying why gold didn't do much after yesterday's $200 billion rescue plan by the Fed.

"The plan will effectively shift the risks in the banking system onto the Fed’s own balance sheet, so that instead of holding mainly Treasury securities, the central bank will soon be nose-deep in loans and mortgage-backed securities of dubious value. For individual investors looking for a way to respond to the news, the correct course of action would seem to be: keep buying gold and silver. Of course, this has been more or less true since the Federal Reserve was created in 1913, empowering the government to create money out of thin air. But given the inability of gold to achieve new highs yesterday, and because of its equally stolid reaction to last Friday’s alarming unemployment report, we would suggest that gold bugs ratchet up their cautiousness a notch or two in the weeks ahead. In practice, this will mean closely monitoring gold’s vital signs as it flirts with the $1,000 level.

Recognizing that there is no way it can induce consumers to borrow-and-binge once again with the economy slipping into a real estate deflation, the Fed has seized on an extremely risky alternative. By assuming effective ownership of all the bad paper that has clogged the credit markets, the central bank has given the banks the statutory ability to create more loans. But if the demand for loans fails to materialize and now-burgeoning bank reserves go unused, then we are about to see a collapse in money velocity that would be deflationary in the extreme.

No Hyperinflation

That is what we expect, and it implies there will ultimately be no hyperinflation. However, as long as the threat of one seems real, gold and silver quotes are likely to remain firm. But the threat could vanish quickly if and when the speculative blowoff that has seized commodity markets ends, presumably taking the stock market with it. Even then, precious metals are bound to outperform other classes of investment assets and hold their purchasing power. But it nonetheless remains a possibility that this will come about because their price has fallen less steeply than that of other assets and investables."

Erm, Has anyone known the financial system like this before? What about the 70s and 80s? Is this worse? How bad is this thing and are you bothered?

What about the geopolitical situation? What do you think will happen over the next five years?

Where do you think we are in the scheme of things? At the beginning of something big or at the end of it?

I will post my opinions on it all later.

hello all - just found out where all the HPC gold crew have gone.

more of a silverbug myself - look forward to some useful ag discussion here.

first discussion point - pullback over? new support 1930-1950?

Silver looks good here, could melt up to $25 pretty easily from here. The only concern is if Bernanke disappoints at the next rate cut session. At some point he will have to defend the dollar as everyone I meet in the US is starting to put the dollar and price of gas together - not good for heli Ben and rate cuts.

For a blow-off in commodities to happen the dollar would have to strengthen. The only scenario that I could see that happening is if the Fed started to hike rates. However as long as the housing market is crashing I can't see them doing it. This would be text-book repeat of the great depression.

Hi, nice to see you over here. :)

There is a dedicated silver thread in the precious metals forum, although it's quieter than this gold thread.

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=771

first discussion point - pullback over? new support 1930-1950?

Hello and welcome. I too am optimistic for silver and have loaded up on it recently. I'm glad to see that silver did not drop much and is looking stronger now. I think its got a lot of work to do in the coming months.

Glad to see you here from HPC. Please help others who are looking for us.

Germany refuses to sell any more gold for another two years. Another nail in the dollar coffin.

http://www.resourceinvestor.com/pebble.asp?relid=41133

St. LOUIS (ResourceInvestor.com) -- Germany's Bundesbank indicated on Tuesday it will continue to hoard its vast gold reserves in the next year of the Central Bank Gold Agreement (CBGA), the fifth agreement year beginning in September. The decision was widely anticipated, but could prove to support gold sentiment in the market in the longer term. Bundesbank is the second-largest holder of gold behind the U.S. Federal Reserve and owns about 3,417.4 tonnes of gold worth more than $100 billion. The bank has sold no substantial amounts of gold since the enactment of this Central Bank Gold Agreement, which limits sales to 500 tonnes per year.

Also...All this deflation talk is really starting to irritate me:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/commodities/...2markets35.html