• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Gold really needs to break $1000 and stay there now.

I am concerned that it is going to stall there again , which will mean an ugly 3 top in the chart.

Think about QE it will ease your fears :)

Gold really needs to break $1000 and stay there now.

I am concerned that it is going to stall there again , which will mean an ugly 3 top in the chart.

Fear, uncertainity and doubt....

The method of control of the masses from at least 1971...

Weak hands will fold from here...

What do people use to get the volume of trades? Is GLD used as a proxy? What about trade outside the US?

Yes GLD is used as a proxy, GLD is traded internationally. I think volume will pickup as we go through $1000.

Someone who sold his gold and was hoping for a low to get back in? That would make him more of an optimist :)

Yeh - there could be idiots around like that I suppose.

Personally, since I work in GBP, I'm glad I sold a while back as the Sterling price is still way down and not rising. For me its not about looking for a way back in, its about being relieved I am not suffering the current downtrend in the GBP PoG ;)

gilt auctions later this week.

I expect it will have a similar effect on GBP as last week's treasury sales had on USD.

Could be!

A 10% drop wouldn't hurt, as I'd then still be even with my gold sales, but significantly up on my oil ETF and would sell some of that

The beauty of diversification :)

Yeh - there could be idiots around like that I suppose.

Personally, since I work in GBP, I'm glad I sold a while back as the Sterling price is still way down and not rising. For me its not about looking for a way back in, its about being relieved I am not suffering the current downtrend in the GBP PoG ;)

Yer, Im suffering.... Its weird to look at the charts and see Gold USD up and then gold GBP down. I dont know weather to feel happy or sad. But then Id be worried about being in GBP when I'm not ready to buy a pwoperdee yet.

Yer, Im suffering.... Its weird to look at the charts and see Gold USD up and then gold GBP down. I dont know weather to feel happy or sad. But then Id be worried about being in GBP when I'm not ready to buy a pwoperdee yet.

Indeed - its important to really dissect what is driving what just now, as its all becoming a bit extreme.

Key thing is to remain coldly objective, and not "feel happy or sad", or wedded to preconceptions. There be dragons...!

There is a danger in reading too much into the gold price rises. Its all about the currency at the moment, specifically the game of chicken that the Fed is playing with the Bond market. As a euro holder, gold has seen small, steady, boring increases over the past few months.

There is a danger in reading too much into the gold price rises. Its all about the currency at the moment, specifically the game of chicken that the Fed is playing with the Bond market. As a euro holder, gold has seen small, steady, boring increases over the past few months.

I agree, and equally if USD stabilises/strengthens soon (as I think it might) then USD PoG will fall, meaning nothing!

But a lot of people are watching the USD PoG, and if it does fail to convincingly pass through 1000 this time around, many might cut and run.

Indeed, in my more paranoid monents, I even wonder if this isn't what the PPT are setting up. If so, they'll probably sell gold to start the fall, and then let it gain its own momentum.

I have to agree with you on this post, but what happens if all main currencies are down, isn't this the same as the pog going up in all currencies?

I think the concerns raised about this happening after an uptrend rather than a downtrend are significant. Plus there's the question of the low volume.

But perhaps more worryingly, this recent rise in PoG to form the second shoulder is not due to a fundamnetal rise the PoG, but simply reflects a depreciation in the USD. Gold in virtually all other currencies shows no such shoulder.

A real pessimist might even argue that we've just had an ominous double top, and we're now on our way down - with that fall simply hesitating just now due to the current weakenning of the USD and the impact this has on the USD PoG. ...but who would dare suggest such a thing :)

Any suggestions for the June title?

"Gold is busting out allover .... ?" ?

For those who don't know, it's from one of those awful 50s musicals where people burst into song for no good or apparent reason

Guest Dramatic Exit
Any suggestions for the June title? How about "Summer Dulldrums to prove JS wrong?" or "head and shoulders found at foot of mountain?"

How about "Not just for the 49ers"?