http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKL9682650...dRealEstateNews

FACTBOX-Precious metals holdings of exchange-traded funds

LONDON, July 9 (Reuters) - Inflows into precious metals-backed exchange-traded funds

slowed in the second quarter from record levels in the first three months of 2009, as signs

the financial markets were stabilising knocked demand for the metal as a haven from risk.

Holdings of the largest gold-backed ETF, the SPDR Gold Trust GLD declined slightly in

the second quarter after climbing 44 percent in the first, while inflows into the largest

European products, operated by ETF Securities in London and Zurich Cantonal Bank in

Switzerland, slowed significantly.

ETFs back each security issued with physical stocks of a given commodity, creating a

product they say is free from counterparty risk.

Following is a list of the main ETFs backed with precious metals in Europe and the United

States, and their holdings.

EDIT: click the link to see the holdings table. I can't paste it

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

UPDATED - from the GS thread

Some weeks to go to the next important low in Gold ?

Static components: long term (ong) : short term (btb)

zzzze.gif

/see Charts :: OilnGold : http://www.buythebottom.com/cot_charts/gold.html

Target levels : targets: GCnp: -800, LSnp: +10,000 / see: chart

1KG below £18K! I sold out at £21,625 (not saying this in an antagonistic way), where is this heading, I have a bad feeling they can't combat the deflation.

It depends on how much you trust the currency. My brother-in-law bought gold at NZ$2000 and then the price went down to $1500 not because gold fell but because the currency first fell against the dollar [$2000 gold] then came back again [$1500 gold].

It would not take much for the NZ dollar to fall again and gold priced in NZ dollars would again shoot through $2000. How much do you trust another "periphery" currency the pound? It is at the mercy of the fx market. It may be that only the US dollar and Yen will do well in this deflation and even then they may weaken at the end.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKL9682650...dRealEstateNews

EDIT: click the link to see the holdings table. I can't paste it

Thanks very handy.

NAME COMMODITY HOLDINGS (OZ) DATE ORIGIN

SPDR Gold Trust GLD Gold 35,681,507 08/07/09 U.S.

ZKB Physical Gold (ZGLD.S) Gold 4,712,900 03/07/09 Swiss

Gold Bullion Securities (GBSx.L) Gold 4,312,488 08/07/09 UK

ETF Securities Physical Gold (PHAU.L) Gold 2,893,654 08/07/09 UK

COMEX Gold Trust IAU Gold 2,294,207 08/07/09 U.S.

Julius Baer Gold Gold 1,723,375 08/07/09 Swiss

iShares Silver Trust SLV Silver 280,510,677 08/07/09 U.S.

ZKB Physical Silver (ZSIL.S) Silver 49,370,574 03/07/09 Swiss

ETF Securities Physical Silver (PHAG.L) Silver 18,220,030 08/07/09 UK

ETF Securities Physical Platinum (PHPT.L) Platinum 327,084 08/07/09 UK

ZKB Physical Platinum (ZPLA.S) Platinum 176,537 03/07/09 Swiss

ZKB Physical Palladium (ZPAL.S) Palladium 556,401 03/07/09 Swiss

ETF Securities Physical Palladium (PHPD.L) Palladium 324,791 08/07/09 UK

UPDATED - from the GS thread

Some weeks to go to the next important low in Gold ?

Static components: long term (ong) : short term (btb)

zzzze.gif

/see Charts :: OilnGold : http://www.buythebottom.com/cot_charts/gold.html

Target levels : targets: GCnp: -800, LSnp: +10,000 / see: chart

Yes ...I feel the floor upon which PoG is crawling is starting to crumble

Yes ...I feel the floor upon which PoG is crawling is starting to crumble

I think it would be not exactly unexpected if gold (once more) would lead the chartists/TA-preachers ad absurdum. The only way of dealing with gold for me is from the fundamental side.

I think it would be not exactly unexpected if gold (once more) would lead the chartists/TA-preachers ad absurdum. The only way of dealing with gold for me is from the fundamental side.

I share your conviction that gold will be a far higher price one day - because of fundamentals.

But fundamentals do not drive markets, sentiment does.

And how high will gold go, and what day will the peak be reached? ...and will we recognise that peak (and there will[\b] be an absolute peak) and sell our gold before the price falls again?

Since I can't answer those questions, and since that day might be many, many years away, I'd rather move around the various investment classes until gold looks primed for its next leap up. By my judgement we're not yet at that stage.

Of course, with your single-minded (and rather admirable) buy-and-hold approach you have zero risk of missing the take off, but equally you are certain to miss out on other opportunities in the meantime - and (with all respect) that could entail years of significantly profitable missed opportunities.

You might be right, but equally you might be wrong. I don't mean that in an antagonistic sense, but the difference between you and I is that you seem confident you will have the time to react to a rising market and get back in. Personally I think one day it's going to gap up and it will cost you more to get back in than you made sitting on the side line. Of course I might be wrong, but equally I might be right.

I share your conviction that gold will be a far higher price one day - because of fundamentals.

But fundamentals do not drive markets, sentiment does.

And how high will gold go, and what day will the peak be reached? ...and will we recognise that peak (and there will[\b] be an absolute peak) and sell our gold before the price falls again?

Since I can't answer those questions, and since that day might be many, many years away, I'd rather move around the various investment classes until gold looks primed for its next leap up. By my judgement we're not yet at that stage.

Of course, with your single-minded (and rather admirable) buy-and-hold approach you have zero risk of missing the take off, but equally you are certain to miss out on other opportunities in the meantime - and (with all respect) that could entail years of significantly profitable missed opportunities.

I've just been comparing the prices of different gold coins at coininvestdirect, and have noticed, as others have said before, that British sovereigns are among the cheapest per gramme of gold. I see though that Victoria sovereigns are now a lot more expensive than the others. Presumably they are more popular because of age?

If gold does go up to something like USD 1600 or higher (which I think is quite likely in a couple of years time) it might be convenient to have smaller coins for selling small amounts. I generally avoid fractionals because of the extra premiums but sovereigns are not a bad price.

The diverse French 20 franc coins are a bit more expensive per gramme than the sovereigns but not a massive difference. The Austrian 8 florin (same size as a 20 franc) is the cheapest of this size of coin.

Are 20 franc coins very popular in the UK or elsewhere? I like the way that several countries had 20-franc coins with exactly the same amount of gold (France, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy and Austria for sure - any other countries?).

gold-11-5.gif

Even if it did play out like that [which I think unlikely] you can reduce the risk involved by first having a reasonable position in bullion and only then using the volatility of the gold/silver ratio in order to increase your holding. I think there is a high likelihood that the ratio will become more volatile and the markets become more confused as they gyrate between inflation and deflation scares. Con-flation anyone? :rolleyes: