Yes, but more importantly, why Dave. Perhaps you could ask mystik Smeg that.

My gut feeling, is we go up from here, not down to 700, as demand for yellow is greater than ever.

But on second thoughts, Im going back under my rock. Tell me when its safe to come out. $937

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

That corresponds quite nicely with the graph below and where I think we are, at the beginning of the media attention stage.

ManiasBubbles.jpg

You might be on to something there Pixel8r. Of course putting a timeframe on it is the hard part - no one would have predicted that the property bubble would last so long.

Is there any way of graphing the demand for physical gold bars/coins that people take delivery of, or gold that goes into a nominated account like BV or GM? This would give us a better indication of how quickly gold becomes a mainstream investment. In the long term this is propably more significant than the COMEX spot price that we all follow.

Might be worth a separate thread - "Actual demand for physical"

Telegraph in full 'media interest' mode atm. Chinese public beginning to buy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/finance...hard-times.html

that reminds me. Was talking to a very clued in Malaysian Chinese taxi driver in dublin the other (I knew he was clued in because he said has been buying physical gold for a about 10 years!). I asked him why he bought gold and he remarked that "Chinese people love gold".

1 billion chinese people + rising salaries in China/emergence of middle class = shortage in gold?

Maybe I should open a GM in China if James Turk already hasn't.

You might be on to something there Pixel8r. Of course putting a timeframe on it is the hard part - no one would have predicted that the property bubble would last so long.

I would disagree, you should read Fred Harrison's book "Boom Bust" 2005. He nailed the property bubble spot on.

Is there any way of graphing the demand for physical gold bars/coins that people take delivery of, or gold that goes into a nominated account like BV or GM? This would give us a better indication of how quickly gold becomes a mainstream investment. In the long term this is propably more significant than the COMEX spot price that we all follow.

Might be worth a separate thread - "Actual demand for physical"

I guess that a good way to judge demand would be the premium being paid over spot for coins. You can monitor the bullion held by goldmoney on their front page, they update it monthly.

Over US$608 million of gold, silver & currencies as of 27 February 2009

I think it will be obvious when gold hits the main stream, the fact that we have to hunt around for data means it isn't yet.

I guess that a good way to judge demand would be the premium being paid over spot for coins.

not sure... Baird are selling Krugs for 769.50 but they're also selling 1oz bullion bars for 722.50 i.e. significantly less.

I would probably guess something along the lines of:

the premium of bullion bars over spot roughly represents the demand for physical gold over paper gold

the premium of national bullion coins over bullion bars roughly represents the demand for a more recognised/tradable form of gold.

Just for info. Posted by "MAGNUM P.M.'s twin bro" on GIM

http://goldismoney.info/forums/showpost.ph...postcount=25897

Saw Sinclair today…I will not comment on TRE, that is for others, but the tone is positive or perhaps I am an easy mark…

The big headline? He was asked how he came up with the figure of $1650 originally. He brushed of a technical explanation and suggested that was the mathematical result if gold was used to balance the balance sheet of the USA. Today, if that same calculation was made, it works out to $17,000…yes $17,000 He said he would never put that figure in print because he would get a ton of crap for it, but it is why he started endorsing Alf Field’s calculations which went up to $10,000.

[On inflation/deflation:]