SILVER

...Do you think that an ordinary blow torch is hot enough to melt silver? Say you have loads of circuit boards with silver on them, does the Nitric acid only affect the silver?

Silver melts at 962C and a little butane torch will go to 1300C. Nitric will dissolve the most of board, chips, silver, gold and all. It is best to either separated by crushing and floating the light parts away or burning, and then processing the residual.

Looking forward to getting started, will let you know how it goes.....

What process are you going to use?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silver melts at 962C and a little butane torch will go to 1300C. Nitric will dissolve the most of board, chips, silver, gold and all. It is best to either separated by crushing and floating the light parts away or burning, and then processing the residual.

What process are you going to use?

Thanks for the warnings with regards to working with acids in your previous post. I am planning to follow the procedure outlined here;

http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=732873 and using broken and old silver jewellery donated by my wife.

I appreciate that the cost of materials will probably outweigh any potential profit from purifying the silver, but I just enjoy tinkering in the garden shed. Having said that, it sounds as though I would be well advised to undertake my experiments in the open air and upwind.

Hope I don't gas the neighbours... :lol:

Thanks for the warnings with regards to working with acids in your previous post. I am planning to follow the procedure outlined here;

http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=732873 and using broken and old silver jewellery donated by my wife.

I appreciate that the cost of materials will probably outweigh any potential profit from purifying the silver, but I just enjoy tinkering in the garden shed. Having said that, it sounds as though I would be well advised to undertake my experiments in the open air and upwind.

Hope I don't gas the neighbours... :lol:

I don't like the way the nitric is made, there are some very dangerous reactions that could occur here depending on what else is in the drain cleaner. For your own safety skip this step and buy yourself a suitable acid gas respirator and then buy yourself nitric acid here. It is not very strong but it will dissolve a small amount of silver over a few days. If you really want it to work faster then with the respirator on heat the solution gently outside in a pyrex beaker but keep organic residues away from it and do not get it boiling, this is all at your own risk not mine! Playing with acids can kill you! The rest will although I suspect that you will not recover as much of the silver as you hope.

I came very close to posting a picture of a south park red rocket when silver popped over £10/t oz, but thought it would be another `tumble weed` moment for me... :rolleyes:

It can be if you want it to, wordplay is one of the beauties of the English language. FYI on average gold does little between the end of Nov and the beginning of Jan but then it takes off again, hence the need for freshly polished rocket pictures :)

I don't like the way the nitric is made, there are some very dangerous reactions that could occur here depending on what else is in the drain cleaner. For your own safety skip this step and buy yourself a suitable acid gas respirator and then buy yourself nitric acid here. It is not very strong but it will dissolve a small amount of silver over a few days. If you really want it to work faster then with the respirator on heat the solution gently outside in a pyrex beaker but keep organic residues away from it and do not get it boiling, this is all at your own risk not mine! Playing with acids can kill you! The rest will although I suspect that you will not recover as much of the silver as you hope.

Thanks id5, I've decided that using the chemical process of purification may be one tinker too far. However, can't get the idea out of my head now.

I was wondering if you could offer your thoughts on the two devices (Simplicity and electrolytic thumb cell) marketed here, http://shorinternational.com/refining.htm

They claim that the Simplicity can run 1 kg batch weights and can be used for gold and platinum. Are you familiar with the refining process that the Simplicity utilises and whether it would be possible to bodge a "home-made" version at a fraction of the cost? :rolleyes:

The chart below shows something, that can not be pushed down. It comes back and back, and goes higher and higher. You can push it back temporarily, but it will go up and be back again, no question!

http://gold.approximity.com/gold-silver_watch.html

Silver_USD_LOG_GUESS.png

Although I understand the allure of PM's as a wealth preserver/haven, I am having difficulty deciding what the primary driving force for the current rally in PM's might be.

Is the main driver the weakness of the dollar, underlying fundamentals or the Chinese influence. I feel unable to make an informed decision on whether or not to increase my exposure to PM's at this juncture.

I always buy on the dips but can't help feeling that I may be waiting along time for a good buying opportunity, especially when considering GBP's fragility.

Hmmm... to buy or not to buy

Thanks id5, I've decided that using the chemical process of purification may be one tinker too far. However, can't get the idea out of my head now.

I was wondering if you could offer your thoughts on the two devices (Simplicity and electrolytic thumb cell) marketed here, http://shorinternational.com/refining.htm

They claim that the Simplicity can run 1 kg batch weights and can be used for gold and platinum. Are you familiar with the refining process that the Simplicity utilises and whether it would be possible to bodge a "home-made" version at a fraction of the cost? :rolleyes:

It is a type of leaching process where they use 'safer' chemicals than nitirc acid. The kit does work but I have heard that the trick is in the preparation of the metals before you start the process. The kit it is also very expensive compared to the cost of the chemicals involved. There is a chlorine leeching process that would be very similar to the kit. I have never had the need to use it myself and I am sure that you will be able to find one on the web. Look for a process that uses sodium hydroxide and calcium hypochlorite, most of these can be brought in a good pool shop. Again, I would use a respirator and work outside as the chlorine that can come off is a not too good for you.

The vat charged in Germany is a lot less. does anyone know if i can take delivery of the coins in germany from coininvestdirect and then bring them into the uk on a commercial flight?

or is this akin to smuggling?

It's fine to do so as long as the coins are for yourself and you are not intending to sell them when you return to the UK.

Try these guys http://www.proaurum.de/

I find it curious that this graph of silver in GBP is very similar to gold in USD. Both are displaying the possibility of a inverse head and shoulders pattern, which hopefully should be completing over the next few weeks. In silver/GBP if it completes we should be looking at a price above £14 per ounce.

I find it curious that this graph of silver in GBP is very similar to gold in USD. Both are displaying the possibility of a inverse head and shoulders pattern, which hopefully should be completing over the next few weeks. In silver/GBP if it completes we should be looking at a price above £14 per ounce.

Yes, looks uncannily familiar... maybe this is the mo of the manipulation??

I think an overlay is in order...unfortunately i am writing this on someone else's computer!!!

Any takers?

Newbie catch up: As far I know, U can swap between gold&silver using the G/S ratio to favour your plan of cumulating your ounces during your holding of gold&silver. U can also use the ´silver lift´ when jig is up and swap to gold before the end of the bull market to get more gold than just buying the gold 1st place. Is there any other usable strategies to make the most of this asset class (not including the stocks, warrants or ETFs) the forum recommends? ;)

Newbie catch up: As far I know, U can swap between gold&silver using the G/S ratio to favour your plan of cumulating your ounces during your holding of gold&silver. U can also use the ´silver lift´ when jig is up and swap to gold before the end of the bull market to get more gold than just buying the gold 1st place. Is there any other usable strategies to make the most of this asset class (not including the stocks, warrants or ETFs) the forum recommends? ;)

You will still lose your shirt (a lot of ounces) if you trade the gold:silver ratio at the wrong times.