SILVER

... silver is soon going back to 15:1 - take it for what it's worth - to me, that could happen with a massive commercial signal failure, a dollar collapse, or something black swan-like by the Chinese or others (G20 meeting, end of USA fiscal year on Sept 30th) - or more likely, all three or combos thereoff ...

Simple short squeeze triggered by a major delivery at strong prices could be enough IMO.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi GOM, long time no see! - I just sent you an email - on the subject of silver, FWIW, I have been reading plenty of anecdotals on other forums - anyhoos one which leapt out at me was a guy who's brother-in-law is a very succesful FX trader in Chicago - told the guy to load up on silver as he and his currency trading friends think silver is soon going back to 15:1 - take it for what it's worth - to me, that could happen with a massive commercial signal failure, a dollar collapse, or something black swan-like by the Chinese or others (G20 meeting, end of USA fiscal year on Sept 30th) - or more likely, all three or combos thereoff ...

hey cdswamp, will check my mail.

nice to see you back. :)

edited - hope you're right about silver. I am 70:30 silver:gold at the mo, on the advice/information of a few posters on here.

Hello swampy, nice to see you again.

I spoke with Bullion Vault today about silver. The latest is this:

az:

Hi. It would be good if the charts show 10 years. Please forward it as a suggestion.

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

Hello,

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

Thank you for your suggestion.

az:

any news on the BV silver launch?

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

There is 5 years and 20 years but I will say this too to the IT dept.

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

Everything is ready, we are still awaiting an authorization from the tax office.

az:

Yeah I know. 20 years covers 10 years when gold did nothing

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

HM Revenues & Customs has to confirm that our silver won't be charged VAT.

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

And we still didn't get this paper.

az:

Are they a bit slow?

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

Yes, they are.

az:

Are you sure they will not chaarge VAT? They need every penny!

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

We expected it much faster but apparently there is a controversy in this subject.

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

Well, we and the LBMA (we are the member) say that there shouldn't be any VAT as it is only as an investment.

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

But some of them say different.

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

Because silver is not purely investment metal like gold. It is mostly industrial.

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

I mean much more industrial than gold.

az:

Ah, I see. I would not buy it if there was a 15% loss to start with. If the silver is not delivered.

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

So, we are still waiting...

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

We are quite sure there won't be any VAT, but we need to get their paper.

az:

Yeah, so they say. If they charge VAT then no one will buy it and so they will get nothing anyway!

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

Haha! Yes!

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

You are right

az:

At least they might get some CGT

az:

OK thanks for the update. Happy days gold btw

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

You are welcome.

az:

Say hi to Paul from Az

az:

BB for now

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

OK, once his back from Asia

Jaroslaw Pietrzak:

Bye for now.

az:

bb

Yippie!

Got out of my Silver Perth Mint Certificates (paper promises) converted to dollars to save on FX charges

and bought physical gold in dollars to be delivered from a USA depository yesterday.(Cheaper) :rolleyes:

Phew! i had to wait over a year+ to wait for the silver price to go up...i would've preferred being into silver but i didn't trust The mint with no public Audit of its bullion,and with all this talk for every coin," their are 50 odd pieces of paper having claim to them". i done the maths and didn't like the fishy smell. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

But seriously, keep us posted how Hoye's advice is working out.

The problem all these guys have is that you can't write a newsletter every week/month that just says "buy gold and silver and hold". So they encourage you to trade. So, naturally, sooner or later, you'll lose your shirt.

It is now abundantly clear that those seeking to preserve their wealth should buy a core position of gold and silver and hold. If you wish to get fancy by thinking you can trade this market go ahead maybe you will get lucky. But as GF says that is often the road to losing your shirt. I tinkered with a tiny trade on the GS ratio and learned my lesson. Fortunately at only a small loss.

You could also try and finesse your entry by trying to predict that there will be some big sell off and you will get an ounce of gold for Prechters 400USD or Hugh Hendry's 600USD. BUT what if they are horribly wrong! Again the message is clear DO NOT muck about trying to finesse things here it is far too dangerous. Instead commit to converting a set amount of GBP in to gold each and every week/month regardless of price. I have done this since June and have been well rewarded.

Instead commit to converting a set amount of GBP in to gold each and every week/month regardless of price. I have done this since June and have been well rewarded.

Yep. James Turk's advice too for the last 10 years. And it has been good. But did he just say he was buying a property? Is this to do with a coming hyperinflation/ dollar-world currency- meltdown/BFC premonition? Or is he just too rich to care, preferring safety?

Maybe we should do the same?

Echoes of Richard Russell advice here. 'freehold property, gold, silver, cash'.

I want to reply to this with some links to different articles, but I'm pushed for time at the moment, I'll reply asap but it might be the week after next.

What U mean by many bullish things. I havent paid so much attention to silver since recently, but what else You think could soften the landing in silver other than chinese buing on dips?

... Can someone remind me where silver fits in if we do end up on a gold backed world currency ? thanks

It could come to a bimetallic standard anyway. In general, if gold was reintroduced as the global currency, my guess would be that the price of silver would become less volatile.

If China wants to surprise everyone, they'll give silver a much more prominent role in their currency strategy.

It is now abundantly clear that those seeking to preserve their wealth should buy a core position of gold and silver and hold. If you wish to get fancy by thinking you can trade this market go ahead maybe you will get lucky. But as GF says that is often the road to losing your shirt. I tinkered with a tiny trade on the GS ratio and learned my lesson. Fortunately at only a small loss.

You could also try and finesse your entry by trying to predict that there will be some big sell off and you will get an ounce of gold for Prechters 400USD or Hugh Hendry's 600USD. BUT what if they are horribly wrong! Again the message is clear DO NOT muck about trying to finesse things here it is far too dangerous. Instead commit to converting a set amount of GBP in to gold each and every week/month regardless of price. I have done this since June and have been well rewarded.

Yes, you should have a large position in gold and silver.... but you should also have a large position in cash. A third of each sounds about right... then wait for the market to come to you in order to go from one to the other.

Silver to gold, pre-crash... and cash to silver post-crash. :rolleyes:

That is what I have been doing, placed my small monthly orders yesterday.

That is what I have been doing, placed my small monthly orders yesterday.

The Chinese have got the right idea encouraging their population to put savings into gold and silver (pig farmers have already gone for copper and nickel :lol: ).

This will help protect their savings and stabilize the country and possibly their economy.

Meanwhile in the USA and UK, the governments seem not to give a damn about the long-term financial security of the general population. :(

The Chinese have got the right idea encouraging their population to put savings into gold and silver (pig farmers have already gone for copper and nickel :lol: ).

This will help protect their savings and stabilize the country and possibly their economy.

Meanwhile, in the USA and UK governments seem not to give a damn about the long-term financial security of the general population. :(

A property-owning democracy looks rather inferior to a money-owning autocracy.

If the Chinese own China and the British own Britain but the Chinese have all the money, did we buy our country from China? :huh:

It could come to a bimetallic standard anyway. In general, if gold was reintroduced as the global currency, my guess would be that the price of silver would become less volatile.

If China wants to surprise everyone, they'll give silver a much more prominent role in their currency strategy.

Because the silver stockpile has been largely used up by industry I suspect there is not enough mined silver in existance now for silver to be used as the loose change money in a traditional bimetallic monetary system.

Perhaps silver is too useful to be used as money

Meanwhile in the USA and UK, the governments seem not to give a damn about the long-term financial security of the general population. :(

So, what, if anything, are they thinking? Except for their own short term profit and power, very little it seems. I find it unbelievable that nobody stands up for the long term financial security of the general population in the UK. At least USA has Ron Paul and a few other Senators. Is there any UK politician who has the brains and the balls to stand up and tell the truth like Ron Paul? Only that Major of Doncaster seems to give a damn! (mind you this is the kind of situation in which Hitler came to power during Weimar...)

Perhaps more will follow his lead. I imagine there would be a lot of support, especially after we start cracking up. One problem is that the general pop has been so dumbed down I sometimes wish the worst would happen quickly. There's little hope for our once 'great' country.

I find it very depressing the deeper I think about it.

Because the silver stockpile has been largely used up by industry I suspect there is not enough mined silver in existance now for silver to be used as the loose change money in a traditional bimetallic monetary system.

Perhaps silver is too useful to be used as money

Surely it would just be electronic fractions of grams. Like, er, GM or BV. Every bank would be like that. The price of gold and silver would maybe be set and fixed and all money merely represents your electronic pile. You would never be able to get at your gold or silver 'to stop economic financial disasters' but you could add to your pile in the bank with junk currency chips/paper. This would force us all to use/transact in junk chips and paper like today whilst having it 'insured' by electronic gold.

Gold and silver in themselves will be banned. I can't think of another way really.

Salaries could be advertised in gold grams, but you only get more monopoly money to spend! Basically like today but the fiat in your pocket will be matched by electronic gold instead of nothing but confidence, like it is now.

I'm sure this would still make the value of g and s soar, but it being illegal to trade it you have to turn in your gold for land, monopoly money (lots of) or electronic gold down at the bank.

I see something like this anyway. Anyone else got any ideas?