SILVER

Mr-Silver.co.uk goes TU?

Second, I'm disturbed by this kind of thing.

I can understand you being disturbed by a white van man doing it, badly it seems but independant jewellers have done this for years. Many buy and store bullion, jewellery and art for their clients, some will even loan against what is stored and essentially how banks started. Its the way a big chunk of the non-western world still does business.

I have always thought that if a banking system fails and the country does not go Mad Max then this is where public banking will fall back to.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand you being disturbed by a white van man doing it, badly it seems but independant jewellers have done this for years. Many buy and store bullion, jewellery and art for their clients, some will even loan against what is stored and essentially how banks started. Its the way a big chunk of the non-western world still does business.

Do they lend to the owner of the item only, in effect keeping it as collateral?

Thats a very neat chart GF. Look at how similar silver has been to gold since 1981. And houseprices so out of kilter.

Anyway I agree, GF. Silver is cheap now, considering how it could be. I feel quite lucky and just keep loading up after the pay cheque every month.

GF. Is that Uk houses priced in dollars :blink: thus the big fall recently?

Looking at the chart, regardless of that for a moment, it is saying a lot about being in silver, not to mention silver is still very cheap. I think it (silver) also needs to be seen to be a currency like gold, not just as an industrial metal. Maybe that will happen shortly. Silver may well be the metal to be good for the good times and also good for the bad times too.

A realization of that would give it a massive kick in the pants IMO. At the moment though, I'm not complaining as it is a golden opportunity (sorry) to pick it up at a good price with plenty of upside potential. Perhaps even more than gold.

Any opinion on that?

GF. Is that Uk houses priced in dollars :blink: thus the big fall recently?

Yes, this chart is in USD.

The thing to keep in mind is, that 1968 was a situation where gold prices had been suppressed for many years by the London Gold Pool. Gold was still cheap then. Hence the fact that house prices have performed similar to gold over these 41 years means that gold is again cheap in comparison today. All this can of course also be seen from the house:gold charts, but I thought it was interesting.

And, yes, silver is indeed ridiculously cheap. This is still the time to load up.

EDIT: Here is the same chart since 1999 in pounds. Clearly, we're now in the gold bull.

http://gold.approximity.com/since1999/asse...parison_GBP.png

asset_comparison_GBP.png

I think it (silver) also needs to be seen to be a currency like gold, not just as an industrial metal. Maybe that will happen shortly. Silver may well be the metal to be good for the good times and also good for the bad times too.

A realization of that would give it a massive kick in the pants IMO. At the moment though, I'm not complaining as it is a golden opportunity (sorry) to pick it up at a good price with plenty of upside potential. Perhaps even more than gold.

Any opinion on that?

The chinese have always thought of silver more than gold as money, even their word for "bank" means "silver movement". As the chinese authorities are now encouraging the population to buy silver again, it shouldn't be long before it is seen as money again.

The Chinese have a centuries-old affinity with silver. It began in the 1500s with the explosion of trade with Mexico via the Spanish galleons. These sailing ships were the super-tankers of their age. They made one voyage per year, carrying tea, silks, and spices from Asia to Mexico. The ships returned to Asia with gold and silver. After the Chinese threw off imperial rule in 1912, the country used silver money. Today, the Chinese word for "bank" means, "silver movement.

http://www.nuwireinvestor.com/blogs/invest...push.html"

Do they lend to the owner of the item only, in effect keeping it as collateral?

Some only lend to the owner of the item in the same way as a pawn shop but if the owner instructs then some do lend to others taking a cut of the interest or a fee depending on which set of laws the deal is based under.

who posted that gold:silver ratio chart for me, it was a simple version.

Could they post it again for me I've bl00dy lost it. :unsure:

edit - it might have been azazel

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$GOL...id=p15669131621

thanks pixel8r,

but it was a fixed graphic type one.......nice & simple.

I want it for my lappy background :rolleyes:

Just copy and paste the graphic from the site.

Is it the one with the big spike in 1980 GOM?

no (but I do like that one ;) )

it's a really simple four segment (iirc) on how to work out the ratio. If it crosses the line on one side gold is strong, crosses the other line, silver is strong.

It's a graphic rather than a chart, perhaps I should have clarified. :unsure:

edit - actually that would be 2 segment wouldn't it. I think it was shown as 4 though