This is catastrophic (for houseowners, banks, the UK economy, but not necessarily for you). The average home owner oozes now £22,000 in equity every year. And, I can't stress this enough, this is only the very beginning. I am looking forward to houses losing 30%-50% of their value over the course of this meltdown. In some extreme cases it will be more.

Ceterum censeo, Hadrian's Wall won't stop this crash.

What does it mean? Northern Rock was only the beginning. I expect the nationalization (i.e. bankruptcy) of banks like Barclays, HBoS and RBS over the years. All amounts of money necessary to keep these turds afloat will be created. Our shiny yellow friend will be your lifeboat in this financial holocaust.

I believe that by 2013 gold will have doubled (at least) in $ terms, £1 will equal $1 (at best) and UK house prices will have halved (at least). Makes sense to save for a house in gold to me... well, that's my plan anyway :)

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

looking like good value to the miners

Global gold hedgebook cut by 16 pct in Q2-Fortis

Visit My Websitehttp://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idCAL712123820080807?rpc=44

LONDON, Aug 7 (Reuters) - Gold miners cut their hedging positions by 16 percent in the second quarter of 2008, but the dehedging rate is expected to slow significantly in the remainder of the year, a report said on Thursday.

Miners bought back 3.5 million ounces of hedged gold in the second quarter, bringing the total global hedgebook to 18.7 million ounces, it said.

Anglogold Ashanti (ANGJ.J: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), the world's third largest gold miner, led the dehedging, buying back 2.7 million ounces of gold in the second quarter.

Thirty other companies also cut their hedgebooks during the quarter, by a combined 800,000 ounces. Sino Mining (SGX.AX: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), Barrick (ABX.TO: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), Newcrest (NCM.AX: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) and Lihir/Equigold (LGL.AX: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) all cut their positions by more than 100,000 ounces.

The quarterly report, produced by VM Group and Haliburton Mineral Services and sponsored by Fortis Bank, said it expects dehedging to tail off in the remainder of the year, with second-half dehedging expected to reach only 2-4 million ounces.

Anglogold Ashanti has only 800,000 ounces of the dehedging programme it announced in the second quarter still to complete, it said.

"Anglogold Ashanti's enormous second-quarter dehedge means the global total has fallen sharply," said Matthew Turner, VM Group analyst and author of the report.

"However, as most of their dehedging programme is now completed, barring any big surprises from them or other companies, the rate of global dehedging will slow sharply from now on."

Hedging allows producers to lock in prices for future output, but it can backfire if metals prices rise above the hedged price

The thing that is annoying me is that as fast as Gold is dropping so is stirling. Its not getting any cheaper to buy physical :angry:

We are here :angry: 872 / 1.94 = 449 + 6% = £475.94

We could at least be here :blink: 872 / 1.99 = 438 + 6% = £464.28

I wish we was here :lol: 872 / 2.06 = 423 + 6% = £448.39

It looks like my target spot rate is @ $820 using the current £/$ rate

I's really unsure if we will be seeing that tho :unsure:

The thing that is annoying me is that as fast as Gold is dropping so is stirling. Its not getting any cheaper to buy physical :angry:

We are here :angry: 872 / 1.94 = 449 + 6% = £475.94

We could at least be here :blink: 872 / 1.99 = 438 + 6% = £464.28

I wish we was here :lol: 872 / 2.06 = 423 + 6% = £448.39

Agreed - but remember, the UK is 1 year behind the US in its economic collapse, so the pound will probably fall a lot further still against the dollar. So my view is that it makes sense to buy now, and not wait. And indeed, I did just now top up ...buying my 3rd wadge of silver 1/2 hour ago at 16.14

In pounds that gives me

1/3 at 8.65 (USD 17.0, GBP:USD 1.965)

1/3 at 8.57 (USD 17.10, GBP:USD 1.995)

1/3 at 8.30 (USD 16.14, GBP:USD 1.945)

So breakeven = GBP 8.56 (USD 16.65 with todays exchange rate)

...so I need 3% improvement to get into profit - and stirling could easily fall that far even if silver doesn't go up in dollars :)

EDIT: just realised this matches my gold purchases in 2006 (when the gold market all looked to have topped),

1/3 at 620, 1/3 at 620, 1/3 at 580 ...and very glad I did it :)

Agreed - but remember, the UK is 1 year behind the US in its economic collapse, so the pound will probably fall a lot further still against the dollar. So my view is that it makes sense to buy now, and not wait. And indeed, I did just now top up ...buying my 3rd wadge of silver 1/2 hour ago at 16.14

In pounds that gives me

1/3 at 8.65 (USD 17.0, GBP:USD 1.965)

1/3 at 8.57 (USD 17.10, GBP:USD 1.995)

1/3 at 8.30 (USD 16.14, GBP:USD 1.945)

So breakeven = GBP 8.56 (USD 16.65 with todays exchange rate)

...so I need 3% improvement to get into profit - and stirling could easily fall that far even if silver doesn't go up in dollars :)

Unfortunately I have a self imposed chastise of £450 per ounce before I can pull the trigger, its getting closer and closer and then £ drops :lol:

I got my timming wrong @ £400 and ounce and only managed to get minimal fills at the end of 2007 :angry:

Did better last summer tho

I believe that by 2013 gold will have doubled (at least) in $ terms, £1 will equal $1 (at best) and UK house prices will have halved (at least). Makes sense to save for a house in gold to me... well, that's my plan anyway :)

That sounds about right to me.

Some people have always good reason to sell a lot of gold. :lol:

...I wonder if one of those reasons recently involves big institutional longs on margin that are having to sell? If so, the recent spike down will bounce back with a vengeance once those sells are finished with

This is a good point, perhaps Goldfinger can produce a plot to correlate the dollar index with the dollar price of gold, for comparison.

stefanmo on GIM is doing a regression plus chart on a regular basis:

http://goldismoney.info/forums/showpost.ph...p;postcount=175

I personally don't have USDX data.

TIMING QUESTION:

If you were China, and you wanted to strengthen your currency

- by switching some reserves OUT OF DOLLARS and INTO GOLD.

When would you do it?:

+ Before the Beijing Olympics?

+ After the Beijing Olympics?

No prizes for the right answer

Benefit: you can lower commodity price inflation

Cost: less exports to the US- but they are fading anyway

TIMING QUESTION:

If you were China, and you wanted to strengthen your currency

- by switching some reserves OUT OF DOLLARS and INTO GOLD.

When would you do it?:

+ Before the Beijing Olympics?

+ After the Beijing Olympics?

No prizes for the right answer

Benefit: you can lower commodity price inflation

Cost: less exports to the US- but they are fading anyway

During... while no one is watching?

Hey GF, didn't you used to post some graphs of UK houseprices in gold back on hpc? Do you still do them?

Click the link in GF's signature. Lots of good graphs there including UK house prices in ounces of gold.