A prediction for October...

- dramatic emergency base rate cuts happen globally (BoE may even announce 0.5% today, 1 day earlier than expected)

Nailed that one :)

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle4906518.ece

And I hear this is, indeed, part of an globally coordinated 'race to the bottom' for interest rates due to the chaos in everyones' economies.

[EDIT: now even I might need to start posting rocket pictures!!!]

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

5% is 2.5 times more than 2%, but 4.5% is 3 times more than 1.5%. What is counterintuitive about the GBP being improved relative to the dollar by this move?

I stand corrected.. had just seen the newsflash which didn't initially mention the co-ordinated element.. hanace thought it was UK only

So a rate cut causes POG to drop by $20??

man, this is just wierd.

I don't think that most buyers of gold are that worried about inflation, much more worried about instability. Any tangible asset will hedge inflation to some extent, but most assets are going down rather quickly.

So I would expect "good" news for the general economy to lift shares and commodities and dent gold, but only for the 10 minutes it takes to work out that the news isn't really that significant.

I have to say, I thought that gold would either rocket or plummit this week. So far it has done neither - it is actually working as a safe haven, and very ironically, a hedge against a strong dollar! Still, you takes your gains when you can get them, I'm sure.

I have to say, I thought that gold would either rocket or plummit this week. So far it has done neither - it is actually working as a safe haven, and very ironically, a hedge against a strong dollar! Still, you takes your gains when you can get them, I'm sure.

POG will hold its own in this deflationary environment and maybe even rise a little.... IMO it will only rocket when the weaker currencies get into trouble in some currency crisis. This crisis IMO will also be the catalyst whereby building inflationary pressures will have a sudden and massive impact on all prices as they are released into the wider economy.

I don't think that most buyers of gold are that worried about inflation, much more worried about instability. Any tangible asset will hedge inflation to some extent, but most assets are going down rather quickly.

So I would expect "good" news for the general economy to lift shares and commodities and dent gold, but only for the 10 minutes it takes to work out that the news isn't really that significant.

FWIW, I mostly agree, my take on the pog at the moment is that the coordinated rate cuts will restore some confidence into the markets and gold will have lost some of it's recent shine. However, this just makes the case for buying gold stronger in the long-term, as the threat of inflation will be very real once the balance swings from flight to cash ($) back into equities, commodities etc. Interesting times nevertheless.

GBP up against USD also.. this is counter intuative

The Market had a 1% cut priced in and didn't get it?

- or - (more likely IMO)

The cut makes the UK more investable (apparently) so folks buy GBP (or stop selling it quite so fast) to invest in UK stocks.

We're at the top of your 'channel 2' now Ker, your model's worked very well so far are you expecting that this resistance will be strong?

In the temporary absence of Ker, maybe this will interest you:

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/NewsStor...nternational.na

Technical-chart related buying in December gold was triggered as the metal moved through $898.80, a dime above the Oct. 1 high, Young said.

Additionally, gold is back above the 200-day moving average that currently passes near the $909 area, Nedoss said. "A close above that is very, very positive," he said.

The next key chart level to watch, both men said, is $932, the peak from Sept. 29.

"I think there would be a ton of stops above $932, basis the December," Nedoss said. He put the next level above this around $940.

gold buffalo question...

I got my first one delivered today; can anyone tell me, is the face /obverse upside down? I seem to have one where the indian's head when flipped by holding at 12 and 6-oclock gives an upside-down buffalo.

Did i just become a numismatist!?

Could it be fake!!!!! ??? :o

POG to crash. Worth just $500 by end of the year:

http://www.cnbc.com//id/15840232?video=880574352&play=1

;)

Is that the wrong link? On the video the interviewee expects Gold prices to double in short order. Even the precis says: "He tells CNBC's Maura Fogarty & Rebecca Meehan that if the paper market collapses, gold prices may double very quickly."