• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

There are two well formed rising support lines from 750 and 825 and the news is bullish.

It's hard to argue a case against this at the moment.

I echo Goldfinger and Narcos comments.

If ever a situation was made for gold, this is it. Even I can't believe it hasn't taken off. I wish it would. I sometimes think that until we get this last little firework out of the way, people have an excuse for maintaining that "get rich quick" mentality, rather than finally, for the first time in about 80 years, looking reality in the eye again.

(Not aimed at any individual here, or elsewhere, just at the late 20th century mindset, which really should have moved on a decade ago, and now finally may)

I'm not liking how gold has behaved during the NY session today. It has now become an Anti DOW Jones play by the look of it. The currency markets are just in a tailspin.

If the DOW rallies hard at some point gold looks like it could sell off sharply in $.

I want to see gold smash through $920 quickly and detatch itself from this kind of action.

There are two well formed rising support lines from 750 and 825 and the news is bullish.

It's hard to argue a case against this at the moment.

Its seasonally a good time of year. Golds consolidated over the summer, tested the lows and firmly established itself at 750-950. The bailouts are clearly money printing and inflationary.

The only worry I have, is that investors will think that the "rescue" plan will put all the bad stuff behind us and gold will cool off.

When the rescue fails or the side affects prove worse than the cure, then gold will continue its climb.

I'm not liking how gold has behaved during the NY session today. It has now become an Anti DOW Jones play by the look of it. The currency markets are just in a tailspin.

If the DOW rallies hard at some point gold looks like it could sell off sharply in $.

I agree, it seems like more than ever we are immanently at the 'moment of truth' in accordance with the fundamentals, yet this doesnt seem to be reflected to scale in the price of PM

I suppose if its going to happen in style then it wont be a gradual detachment but a sudden break.

Will the required escape velocity for this break be reached? We've had over 1 year of credit crunch so far, but its only in the past 2 or 3 weeks that things have really come to a head and we can begin to see where & how the wider global economy is going, and it doesn't look good at all..

Quite a few people who thought I am nuts have been talking about gold to me recently.

At work recently I was looking around at the number of gold rings (particularly sovereign rings... it's that kind of area!) and gold jewellery on both staff and customers, and I wondered if maybe the average person on the street understood gold as a store of wealth all along. It's only some of us who were previously a bit too 'clever', perhaps, who thought we were rediscovering some kind of magic talisman against disaster.

Obviously not in your case. Nobody could ever accuse you of being late to the gold party. :-) But I for one definitely used to think it was closer to barbaric relic than basically essential as at least part of our future-proofing.

Andrew McP

PS Of course much of it will be Argos type 'gold', but I think my point still applies.

Yes that's my opinion. The rate at which this is accelerating is now ferocious, bordering exponential. Of course there will be turbulence on the way up, that was always going to be the case, but I do believe we have seen the last of the big corrections.

you think we are on the next leg up to a higher level?

I just tried to start a new gold thread over at HPC in the main forum.

For me, this is to provide a good concentrated source of information and to counter misinformation from wherever.

Not to ramp gold.

Would I :lol: . But seriously.

I am not an approved member there, so my posting of a new thread will have to go via moderation. For the record, this is what I posted.

Title: The Gold Thread

Subtitle: for discussion of precious metals and related matters

Gold is an endlessly recurring topic here at HPC - even here in the main forum, where sometimes multiple threads mainly concerned with this topic have popped up on the first page.

And it is repeatedly mentioned in other threads where it is often germane.

In previous years STRs and traditional savers have had to worry about where safely to keep their savings and, of course, some have hoped possibly to increase their real value. It's no wonder, therefore, that the issue of investing in precious metals keeps cropping up.

Over the last year the fragility of the financial system has become increasingly apparent and over the last few weeks even dire.

Let this thread be a "micro-forum" to help people looking for well sourced information and informed, balanced opinions on the pros and cons of investing in precious metals, and on related economic and financial matters.

Please vote this thread as a 5-star thread.

(I can't vote, I think, as I'm not an approved member.)

Being a "buy bullion coins and stash" person ( ie. put them aside for my kids out of prying eyes), I was just wondering how the UK house price vs Ounce of Gold ratio was going. GF has been up to speed on this before ( very grateful). I'm not much of a chartist as I'm busy trying to earn a crust in Turdling ( most grateful to GF for this technical term). Its wierd when you start looking at the price of things in gold, especially the shopping trolley at the Tesco check out. I'm always tempted to ask for a couple of Sovereigns as "cash back".

Yes that's my opinion. The rate at which this is accelerating is now ferocious, bordering exponential. Of course there will be turbulence on the way up, that was always going to be the case, but I do believe we have seen the last of the big corrections.

In my experience, never underestimate the volatility of gold.

I want to see gold smash through $920 quickly and detatch itself from this kind of action.

But if one day an ounce of gold will buy the DOW this is good, no?

I m reading the Motely fool guide to investing.

I was absolutely shocked to read on page 20 that gold was a bad investment, that central banks were selling and gold does not a pay dividend.

The book was written in 2001

I wonder what the revision will be like :lol:

It might be quite a lot different. They were on the road to Damascus just yesterday...

Motley Fool Confession – We Were Wrong

Here at the Motley Fool, we’ve long held the twin views that…

1. The stock market offers the best opportunity to your increase your wealth.

2. All stock market investments should be viewed as long-term in nature, the longer the better.

Based on the performance of the stock market over the past 10 years, you’d have to say we were wrong on point number 1. Over that 10 year time period, as I write today, the FTSE 100 index has been roughly flat, not including dividends.

On point number 2, 10 years for little capital return is obviously pretty dismal. How long is long-term? We’ve previously said 3 to 5 years, preferably longer. You’d have to say we were wrong on point number 2 too.

Ok, maybe not that different...

So should we sell up and give up on the stock market?

Hell no.

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing/2008/...t-this-bad.aspx

I did it ...I just accessed 2 months cash and hid it in an envelope somewhere safe.

Even my wife said (as I handed her the envelope) - "that might not be such a bad idea just now"

Better safe than sorry.

The other day I read a good post at goldismoney about how to hide stuff at home from burglars. It was a longish post which was an accumulation of research, some from conversations with an ex-burglar. I'll see if I can find the thread again and post it here.

Some main points which I remember: burglars want to get in and out quickly. He said on average they are in the premises for 8 minutes. So they want something of value quickly. So if they find something good in the more obvious places and suspect on the style of place that there's probably not much more to be found, they would likely be content and leave.

Failing that, they work through (and mess up) the less likely places. So split it and maybe leave a couple of hundred in a more obvious place (desk drawer or something, but not too openly obvious as these guys know what they're doing.)

I was thinking about posting about this the other day and regret that I did not.

If you're like me and generally out and about most days, you may be keen to keep up-to-speed on how G&S are doing using your mobile.

I tend to have a load of different bookmarks on my BlackBerry and iPhone to achieve this, but it's quite messy.

You should download the iGold app for iPhone, it's really good, gives live gold, silver & platinum prices and kitco graphs.

http://www.sollico.com/igold.html

iGold1.jpgiGold2.jpg

The other day I read a good post at goldismoney about how to hide stuff at home from burglars. It was a longish post which was an accumulation of research, some from conversations with an ex-burglar. I'll see if I can find the thread again and post it here.

Some main points which I remember: burglars want to get in and out quickly. He said on average they are in the premises for 8 minutes. So they want something of value quickly. So if they find something good in the more obvious places and suspect on the style of place that there's probably not much more to be found, they would likely be content and leave.

Failing that, they work through (and mess up) the less likely places. So split it and maybe leave a couple of hundred in a more obvious place (desk drawer or something, but not too openly obvious as these guys know what they're doing.)

I was thinking about posting about this the other day and regret that I did not.

useful - look forward to original if you can find it