Could be a legal copy for jewellery purposes. There was a discussion on GIM on this some time ago.

Thats what I suspected. Looks like something from Argos! My scales go to 0.01 and it weighs 3.99g. You think its 9k gold? Do you want to buy it? :)

Dow Jones fell below 9000 earlier. 8990 LOL. Confidence clearly returning to the markets. Gold rocket having a burn.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

In fact, an alloy of 8.5% Pt (density 21.45), with 91.5% DU, then gilded with Au, would have exactly the same density as gold, but cost only about 10% of the real thing.

Don't forget tungsten (W) 19.25 g·cm−3

(gold 19.3)

Unfeasibly high melting point makes it hard and difficult to work though.

Does everyone else see the same repeating pattern I do ?

The US$JPY goes down, gold goes up. Then Japan intervenes, like yesterday, and they both reverse. Late last night (for me), it looked like the bounce had reached the peak.

Then this morning, the US$JPY is going back don, and gold takes off.

And each time the the fundamentals seem to be getting stronger, and the interventions seem to have less effect and for less time.

Hmmmm, I must create a Yen (ooops I nearly said it) long thing that shoots up :D

IMF takes action to stem crisis

IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Khan

The IMF has warned the financial crisis is the most dangerous since the 1930s

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has activated an emergency finance mechanism to help countries hit by the financial crisis.

IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Khan said the lending procedure would allow the IMF to react quickly to support countries facing funding problems.

The scheme, which was used during the Asian financial crisis in 1997, will help speed up approval of loans.

He said the world was "on the cusp of recession", but could still recover.

Speaking ahead of meetings of the IMF and World Bank, Mr Strauss-Khan urged countries to act "quickly, forcefully, and co-operatively" to solve the global economic problems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7661956.stm

?????

I just sold 2kg in BV. First time Ive had the balls to trade it. Chances are its going to the moon NOW! :( Dooh sold too early

Mother of all spikes just happened on my kcast feed. About to log on to reuters to check whether a nuke has detonated somewere or other such good news :blink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have mixed emotions at times like this.

I see gold shooting up and go "hurray".

But at the same time I get this sense of dread.

From just a year ago, things seem to have turned towards the very worst possibility :unsure:

I've had an almost overwhelming sense of dread all week, based largely on the thought that I'm not prepared enough. Procrastination is my middle name...I didn't sell out of my AIG-backed gold & silver until TODAY. What bad timing eh! But at least I'm free of the counterparty risk.

Seeing an investment go up is great, but not when it means everything you know is coming to an end.

I always fell

Fekk ,I wish I'd bought more in a dip

was ready to talk the wife into buying some more tomorrow

trouble is u always feel the rockets will come when you hang fire

Oh what to do what to do

I can almost guarantee that the price will be lower than it is now... ;)

It's not usually wise to buy immediately after a very recent leg-up.

South African Aug. Gold Output Falls 23% on Strike

Oct. 9 (Bloomberg) -- South Africa, the world's biggest producer of precious metals, said gold production fell 23 percent in August from a year earlier because of an electricity shortage and a protest against power price increases. ``There was the Aug. 6 strike by Cosatu that affected mines quite heavily,'' Alex Conradie, an economist at the Department of Minerals and Energy, said by telephone from Pretoria today. ``The power issues also weren't there a year ago.'' The Congress of South African Trade Unions, known as Cosatu, protested against a 27.5 percent tariff increase by state-owned Eskom Holdings Ltd. to help fund a $44 billion expansion. The utility, which supplies 95 percent of South Africa's power, started rationing supplies to mines this year because of a shortage of capacity. South Africa's total mining output declined 6.2 percent and non-gold production fell 3.5 percent, Pretoria-based Statistics South Africa said today on its Web site. Mineral sales jumped 58 percent to 27.52 billion rand ($3.04 billion) in July from a year earlier, it said. Mineral sales data lag production data by a month. South Africa produces more than three-quarters of the world's platinum and also turns out diamonds, coal, chrome and iron ore. South Africa was the world's biggest gold producer for more than a century until last year when it was overtaken by China. Ageing ore bodies and safety-related mine stoppages cut 2007 output by 7.4 percent from 2006.

I always fell

Fekk ,I wish I'd bought more in a dip

was ready to talk the wife into buying some more tomorrow

trouble is u always feel the rockets will come when you hang fire

Oh what to do what to do

buy physical at any cost?

Name: Gold Content: Buy Price: Netto Price: Brutto Price:

1 Ounce Nugget 31.10 Gramm £544.31 £610.77

I've had an almost overwhelming sense of dread all week, based largely on the thought that I'm not prepared enough. Procrastination is my middle name...I didn't sell out of my AIG-backed gold & silver until TODAY. What bad timing eh! But at least I'm free of the counterparty risk.

Seeing an investment go up is great, but not when it means everything you know is coming to an end.

ditto to all your points, although i'm still in etf investments.

I'm 10% in but the procrastinater in me is saying 'is this enough'?

After seeing Darling brutalise sterling's future yesterday I nearly went in 100%. Today I'm procrastinating again, trying to second guess mad, disingenuous markets. I actually wished I still owned property today.