What does long-term mean ?

Can I just make a point about what long-term means, because I think there may be some confusion among some people.

Long-term doesn't mean you buy and it keeps going up for a long time.

No, it means you buy and hold for a long time, and more than likely it drops below what you paid, shoots up, drops back again etc etc, but hopefully sometime in the more far future, it is much higher than it is today.

It's long-term, because you only win if you are prepared to wait out the intermediate drops.

Not that it's dropped much so far :unsure:

I mean geez, it was £360 last year, and now it's £450. You can't really call that a drop now can you :lol:

Maybe two seperate threads are needed here? A "trading" thread to discuss short term movements (mainly TA), and an "investment thread for the longer term (mainly FA)?

Then, when one of the active traders/investers posted, it would be more obvious what timeframe they are talking about.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Maybe two seperate threads are needed here? A "trading" thread to discuss short term movements (mainly TA), and an "investment thread for the longer term (mainly FA)?

Then, when one of the active traders/investers posted, it would be more obvious what timeframe they are talking about.

Very good.

The trouble with 'scale' though, it is retro fit.

Very good.

The trouble with 'scale' though, it is retro fit.

:P

True. "A long term investment" is a "short term trade" gone wrong, and all that! But only for the traders. Many here are resolutely long term, based on their perception of fundamentals, rather than short term, based on technical indicators.

Maybe TA vs FA, rather than short term vs long term?

Edit: for example, at the moment I am guessing traders are either short or out, whereas this may be a long term buying opportunity based on (perceived) fundamentals.

Dear CIGAs,

When your hut's on fire…

The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for someone to rescue him. Every day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming. Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect him from the elements, and to store his few possessions. One day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames, with smoke rolling up to the sky. He felt the worst had happened, and everything was lost. He was stunned with disbelief, grief, and anger. He cried out, 'How could this happen to me?'

Early the next day, he was awakened by the sound of a ship approaching the island! It had come to rescue him! 'How did you know I was here?' asked the weary man of his rescuers.

'We saw your smoke signal,' they replied.

The Moral of This Story:

It's easy to get discouraged when things are going bad, but we shouldn't lose heart even in the midst of our pain and suffering. Remember that the next time your little hut seems to be burning to the ground, it just may be a smoke signal that precedes your rescue.

http://www.jsmineset.com/ARhome.asp?VAfg=1...amp;T_ARID=6642

Dear CIGAs,

When your hut's on fire…

The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for someone to rescue him. Every day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming. Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect him from the elements, and to store his few possessions. One day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames, with smoke rolling up to the sky. He felt the worst had happened, and everything was lost. He was stunned with disbelief, grief, and anger. He cried out, 'How could this happen to me?'

Early the next day, he was awakened by the sound of a ship approaching the island! It had come to rescue him! 'How did you know I was here?' asked the weary man of his rescuers.

'We saw your smoke signal,' they replied.

The Moral of This Story:

It's easy to get discouraged when things are going bad, but we shouldn't lose heart even in the midst of our pain and suffering. Remember that the next time your little hut seems to be burning to the ground, it just may be a smoke signal that precedes your rescue.

http://www.jsmineset.com/ARhome.asp?VAfg=1...amp;T_ARID=6642

That's one way to cope with problems, ...or one could believe God will save you, ...or you could just get drunk.

But I'm not sure any of those options should underpin ones investment psychology

More realistically, sh1t happens! If your hut is burning, what is the chance that a rescue ship happens to be on the horizon at the same time :(

So what will gold do tomorrow or even at 10 pm GMT? And silver? I cant see it messing around 800 for another week. Its either big up or down

I agree UP or DOWN ;) I might also add it could stay the same :blink:

Only Joking :) I think its anyones guesse and it opens up so many questions.

Did the PPT bash gold down before announcing this news ???

What do they have planned for tomorrow ???

Is this inflationary ??????????

Are all Financials to big to fail, in which case people will buy ?????

I think short term, its flick a coin and take your chances. Longer term, hold gold.

If it matters I bought on Thursday as was fed up of watching the £ crumble against the $. Cant believe gold has had such a bashing of late and it still cost me the same as it did back in December in £ terms :unsure:

Just a quick point I was meaning to mention, and to draw away from this inflation/deflation talk

I was talking with some Mexican colleagues last month and they mentioned that there was a growing movement in mexico to bring silver back into their coinage. These guys are pretty heavy into their research work and I was pretty surprised when they mentioned it.. we were talking about the R&D in the mining industry so I would guess that this is something growing mainstream in the Mexican press. Anyone else heard of this?

we have tv ads all over the place, to make silver coin standard money conducted on its own TV channel by the private company Grupo Salinas ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grupo_Salinas ) , but this is not going to happen. The government will not do a harakiri.

So what will gold do tomorrow or even at 10 pm GMT? And silver? I cant see it messing around 800 for another week. Its either big up or down

It looks like the dollar is falling quite hard in out of hours trading (as reported by IGIndex, so make of it what you will), so may be a "shiny" start to the week, in dollars at least.

It looks like the dollar is falling quite hard in out of hours trading (as reported by IGIndex, so make of it what you will), so may be a "shiny" start to the week, in dollars at least.

What time does asian trading start it might be worth getting a spreadbet going to until tomorrow morning I was hoping to buy some $12.32 Silver but may not get the opportunity tomorrow.

What time does asian trading start it might be worth getting a spreadbet going to until tomorrow morning I was hoping to buy some $12.32 Silver but may not get the opportunity tomorrow.

According to Kitco, NY Globex opens in less than half an hour (2300 GMT), then Sydney at midnight and Hong Hong at 0130.

Thanks i'm keeping an eye out see if I can get in quick enough before it goes up.

I think you will have to be extremely quick - almost bound to gap up, I would have thought.

edit: the frikkin pound is up by nearly 3c. If people are piling out of dollars into sterling (tempted to use GF's nomenclature here), it's hard to see gold avoiding the flow.

I think you will have to be extremely quick - almost bound to gap up, I would have thought.

G&S doing very nicely.

And yep, they both gapped up. Silver gapped up 40 cents on open.

Conversely, GBP is rallying meaning gains in GBP won't be so good. And let's face it, we're only recovering part of what was lost on Friday, so not really time to get the rockets out just yet. :P

G&S doing very nicely.

And yep, they both gapped up. Silver gapped up 40 cents on open.

Conversely, GBP is rallying meaning gains in GBP won't be so good. And let's face it, we're only recovering part of what was lost on Friday, so not really time to get the rockets out just yet. :P

:P

Gold will need to rise about $12 to stand still in sterling, but if normal patterns are followed, I would guess gold in dollars will rise about twice this.

Where are you getting live PM data from? Is it publicly accessible?

edit: the frikkin pound is up by nearly 3c. If people are piling out of dollars into sterling (tempted to use GF's nomenclature here), it's hard to see gold avoiding the flow.

£442.90 a few minutes ago on gold money - and my money had not got there yet.

FARF!! am being blocked from igindex :(....

where are u getting prices? I am seeing on BV gold at $803, wile Kitco says $807!!!!

hmmm...

$811 on IgIndex now - I'm very surprised, expected a much bigger leap. Must still be down in most currencies.

Edit: oil up $2 too. Weird, and I would imagine a little disturbing for some.