• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Money creation (as in fiat, fractional reserve etc) can be a good thing and it can be a bad thing, depending on what use it is put to. A silly example I often refer to is babysitting circles who use tokens to exchange babysitting nights. They have created a kind of money from nothing.

I do not see this as the same thing as the members of the circle have created a debt to each other.

With fiat, fractional reserve, etc one of the members of the circle has created a fictional token of one babysitting session and the token then has been passed on to another member. They have effectively said ‘Thanks for babysitting for me. Here is a token for a babysitting session for your effort, a promise in the future that I will expend effort for you’. One problem is that the person that has been given the token and the majority of the members or the babysitting circle do not fully realise or understand that the token has not been created from some form of effort that equates to the value of the token and the original creator of the token will most probably never expend the effort promised.

There is not a problem that the total supply of tokens in the circle has increased. There is a problem that someone has received something for nothing. This would never be noticed if the value of the tokens was never questioned and the number of tokens never diminished to less than the number of ‘tokens created from no effort’. When the number of tokens were less then someone would have to do something for effectively nothing or more likely, people would not accept the token and the token holder would have a worthless token all because it was not created from some form of effort.

The state has created money out of thin air to expand the economy which is a good thing only if the economy always grows. If the economy shrinks then people begin to question the value of the currency. If the currency collapses then the token holder is holding nothing but scrap paper.

All smoke and mirrors and if involved an entity other than the state as a backer, entirely illegal, fraud I think. There is also the growing first problem, that of understanding of what is going on, taking to various people I think that they are now beginning to understand how money gets created, the smoke is beginning to clear and the mirrors are getting dusty. Sooner or later they are going to look behind the mirrors and see that nothing is there.

1972 according to this data from the Labour Research Organisation, but close enough..

http://www.workinglife.org/wiki/Wages+and+...%281964-2004%29

..of course, the REAL picture from the 80s onwards would be far worse if proper inflation figures were used in the adjustments..

Actually, just did a rough calculation based on John Williams' Shadowstats CPI numbers, and the picture is far more grim! For the most recent numbers (2004), I'm getting back approximately $113 in 1982 dollars.. thats about 1/3 the real wages of 1972! ..ouch! :o

Gold Calls - on the etf

Anyone else trading calls on GLD, the Gold etf?

I'm looking at GLDGC

Description CALL (GLD) SPDR GOLD TR GOLD JUL 81

Price: about $5.00

Gold Calls - on the etf

Anyone else trading calls on GLD, the Gold etf?

I'm looking at GLDGC

Description CALL (GLD) SPDR GOLD TR GOLD JUL 81

Price: about $5.00

Today I loaded up on these @4.1 EUR.

ISIN CH0024125145

Call 1.000,00 USD 14.09.09

Again interesting, if we break back above $864 and hold to the close there's the possibility of a bear trap and rally.

Very dangerous to be short here. Very stupid as well, the risk/reward is monumental.

I am in.

If oil passes 139.50 gold & silver probably to jump fast.

I say the bottom is in.

Next move up will be monumental and FAST.

I'm with you. Fundamentals unchanged yet sentiment and price at a massive low. All of the longs have been washed out and everyone who is going to short has now done so.

When everyone who is going to sell has sold, there's only one way it can go - up.

We may sit down at these levels for a while longer, but as that Fed rate decision on the 25th approaches, all the strong dollar muppets are just going to disappear. Talk is cheap, actions matter, when the Fed doesn't do what the market expects, all hell will break loose.

We may sit down at these levels for a while longer, but as that Fed rate decision on the 25th approaches, all the strong dollar muppets are just going to disappear. Talk is cheap, actions matter, when the Fed doesn't do what the market expects, all hell will break loose.

Hmm . . .

But just to be on the safe side, I'll think I'll play safe and have a hedgie in place like the last time the Fed kneed us where it hurts with the 75bp cut instead of the 100 everyone was expecting. If, for whatever reason, the Fed were to sling another 25bp on the funds rate, gold would see something of a dip . . .

Inclined to agree that the bottom is in. Kind of irrelevant really though, as my long term target is in excess of $2000. I'm going to be buying some 1oz gold eagles this week.

Hi Errol,

Where do you get your eagles from as goldline and ATS always seem to be out of them. I havnt bought anything from coininvest before, always been put off as they are not a BNTA member.