Gold mine found in Ireland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7486799.stm

A gold find is being claimed in a small village in Ireland.

A local mining company says that the find in County Monaghan could be the biggest ever untapped gold deposit in Britain or Ireland. They say there could be possibly 1 million ounces but will it be expensive to extract.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Gold mine found in Ireland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7486799.stm

A gold find is being claimed in a small village in Ireland.

A local mining company says that the find in County Monaghan could be the biggest ever untapped gold deposit in Britain or Ireland. They say there could be possibly 1 million ounces but will it be expensive to extract.

I live about 20 miles from it, CDG was/ is on my watchlist.

Proven resource is 1g/t.

I dont like to poo-poo good news but i think the media have got a bit ahead of themselves and used the drill results to inject a bit of euphoria into an otherwise bleak public sentiment.

Dumb and Dumber on radio 4 Today this morning. Paulson and Darling really are a couple of plonkers. Darling still bleeting on about how "well placed" Britain is to ride out economic storms, Paulson stuttering and spluttering about how the UK and US are "working together on working things through going forwards" and other such shite. I would have liked to hear Humphries do more of a number on them to be honest; he was getting warmed up but didn't really stick the boot in like we know he can.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsi...000/7486903.stm

but my GOD, I hope he hikes - it'd really cement his reputation as a cold, hard central banker !

does he actually has power to do that? There are 6 members + 15 governors in the ECB:

http://www.ecb.eu/ecb/orga/decisions/govc/html/index.en.html

How will they vote?

Looks to me Trichets job is complaining about inflation only, but usually market expects the obvious and that is not happening at the end. I am so tempted to short EUR, it technically overbought and toped. So, it may drop hard.

I predict we're now on the starting block for a serious push on 950 within the day. IF we pass it on first try (not so likely admitedly) then it'll go sky high.

But I'm also worried about a PPT knockdown (which, surprisingly, hasn't happenned over last few days)

I'd say there 's a 80% chance we'll try for 950 today, 20% chance we'll pass it, and 30% chance PPT will ruin the party

I think the easiest, but not the cheapest method, would be to give Michael O'Kane a ring at the NZ Mint.

They will store it for you. So all can be done via internet banking in NZ$.

Hi Steve, mission accomplished. Thanks again for the info. I found the NZ mint great to do business with as everything went smoothly. They will store my new Gold kiwis at 2%..... which I made sure to pay for in advance. ;)

well, 4.25%

so, now what??? do we go up from here?

Of course we do....................................after we go down a little...... then sideways..... then up...... then down... .....then sideways again. :P

As for interest rates... I think the ECB will go another 25 points next time round. The US dollar will continue to weaken. As for stocks........

Good article here by John Browne;

http://financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/s.../2008/0702.html

I predict we're now on the starting block for a serious push on 950 within the day. IF we pass it on first try (not so likely admitedly) then it'll go sky high.

But I'm also worried about a PPT knockdown (which, surprisingly, hasn't happenned over last few days)

I'd say there 's a 80% chance we'll try for 950 today, 20% chance we'll pass it, and 30% chance PPT will ruin the party

Have you seen the cgnao rumour?

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=3534

No - I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out! It says "between now (Wed) and tomorrow (thurs)" so they're running out of time.

My 'predictions' are obviously just educated guesses, based upon obsessive reading around market issues. I sense that we're in one of those periods when a lot changes. And so far its all been good for gold. Everyones seeing 950 as a target and an obstacle, and I think there's a desire to give it a try soon (maybe even today). If it yields, then the confidence boost will be massive, and people will see 1000, 1030 12,000... as very achievable... as the fundamentals would argue for!

No - I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out! It says "between now (Wed) and tomorrow (thurs)" so they're running out of time.

My 'predictions' are obviously just educated guesses, based upon obsessive reading around market issues. I sense that we're in one of those period when a lot changes. And so far its been good for gold. Everyones seeing 950 as a target and an obstacle, and I think there's a desire to give it a try soon (maybe even today). If it yields, then the confidence boost will be massive, and people will see 1000, 1030 12,000... as very achievable.

Jobs number 62,000 expected 50,000 but could have been 100,000

This could be a case of bad news spun into good news ( not as good as it could be )

If they are going to whack gold, they will do it now in time for the bank holiday weekend

Down a tad now 941 - 942

Madness - Eurozone rate goes up, so dollar strengthens significantly [so gold etc fall]

...someone please explain

...PPT intervention? .."OK (w)banker buddies, if they raise the base rate in Europe today, buy loads of dollars immediately"

EDIT: 950 will have to wait until next week :(

Is this effect on Gold not pretty much what we should be expecting with an ECB rate rise? Will be interesting to see where hard support lies....

I would have expected the Euro to strengthen and the dollar to weaken. The weaker dollar should then push gold, oil and other commodity prices up (since they're just alternative 'currencies' nowadays)

But, the dollar has instead strengthened by 1% and thats reflected in just over a 1% drop in gold. So this gold drop is just a dollar story!!

With oil up at 146 before the Eurorate decision, the PPT perhaps couldn't allow another 2 dollar jump in oil after the Eurozone decision?

...the devil in me is now half expecting investors to see through this (once they've ragained the composure today) and there may be a counter rally...

Madness - Eurozone rate goes up, so dollar strengthens significantly [so gold etc fall]

...someone please explain

The rate hike had been priced in for about a week and a half so a classic "buy rumour, sell fact" on eurodollar which weakens gold. Trichet's statement apparently wasn't hawkish enough and the payroll numbers weren't as bad as they could have been - even though they were worse than estimates <_<. My guess on the size of the drop is that there were lot of sell orders just in case Trichet held. They were probably positioned - like mine - around $940 although, I didn't figure the hike and worse -than-estimate numbers would trigger it.

What a daft world, eh ?

= = CLOSE-UP = = =

The OIH tends to TURN a few days (to a few weeks) before OIH.

These turns may be more evident on this six months chart ... update

usovoihow2.gif

NOTICE: in the chart above:

1/

The second low (labelled "2") preceded at the largest and most powerful move UP in Oil/USO.

What is interesting about that low, is that the Oil Holders (OIH) had already begun an upthrust as USO was making its low.

To put it another way, that important Low was UNCONFIRMED by OIH.

2/

What we are seeing now is a high in oil (USO) which is not being confirmed by OIH , which is already falling away.

10 DAYS: Oil/USO versus OIH ... update

bigoh9.gif

Investors began to sell OIH heavily yesterday. Could this be a warning that the Oil peak is coming within days?

// see: Oil Thread

I would have expected the Euro to strengthen and the dollar to weaken. The weaker dollar should then push gold, oil and other commodity prices up (since they're just alternative 'currencies' nowadays)

But, the dollar has instead strengthened by 1% and thats reflected in just over a 1% drop in gold. So this gold drop is just a dollar story!!

With oil up at 146 before the Eurorate decision, the PPT perhaps couldn't allow another 2 dollar jump in oil after the Eurozone decision?

...the devil in me is now half expecting investors to see through this (once they've ragained the composure today) and there may be a counter rally...

My thinking was simply that a move by (any) central bank toward mitigation of inflation will have a temporarily detrimental effect on Gold.

Simply because Gold is the classic inflation hedge (the best there is!).

Bigger picture : This makes no difference IMO, (providing the FED don't raise rates in a big way) Gold will fly in latter 1/2 of '08!