$200, $400 Oil by end of 2009, and 2010-12, respectively

On Capital Spreads, the price shot up in the last few minutes of the feb contract. Unfortunately*, I bailed out earlier in the day having made a small profit.

I’m long on stocks and short on oil too.

I’m trying to make a few quid in the volatility. I tend to lose money when I get greedy. I’m happy if I can make £5 for five minutes work.

*I was long on oil

Ah I missed that. I thought it was the new contract after expiry of the old. So if you were looking at the 'daily' price (as I was) it would have moved from one to the other. Are you sure you were actually looking at that month's contract consistently. Or were you looking at the daily price?

By the way I think I said the contract expries 21st earlier. I've just checked they say the 'last dealing time' is 20th @ 19.30. Is that your info too for expiry of the contract?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This really is announcement weekend.

On top of Gaza we now have...

Russia and Ukraine reach gas deal

By Isabel Gorst in Moscow and Roman Olearchyk in Kiev

Published: January 18 2009 09:52 | Last updated: January 18 2009 10:24

Russia and Ukraine agreed a preliminary deal early on Sunday that should allow Russian gas deliveries to Europe to resume on Monday after a 12-day cut off.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bdae775a-e543-11...00779fd2ac.html

And we also have the US release of further TARP funds and the UK bank insurance deal.

Hell, if this doesn't have at least a short term effect, what will? And could we have the unlikely stocks rise whilst oil goes? The Russian and Gaza news suggests it could do - but it might be outweighed by a more optimistic view on the economy. But with the contract expiry there is also the issue of actually taking delivery.

Very, very interesting.

Well stocks and bank shares certainly didn't move the way I thought.

Anyway, oil still looking promising for tomorrow....I just got a message on my answer phone from igIndex seeing if I wanted to rollover the contract. :lol::lol::lol: I take that as a good sign Ziknik. My limit is $28. Think I'll have to come out a little earlier than the end of the contract given your email, and unless you respond to my email above re what contract you were looking at..

Anyway, oil still looking promising for tomorrow....I just got a message on my answer phone from igIndex seeing if I wanted to rollover the contract. :lol::lol::lol: I take that as a good sign Ziknik. My limit is $28. Think I'll have to come out a little earlier than the end of the contract given your email, and unless you respond to my email above re what contract you were looking at..

i expect high volatility tomorrow, but only to take shorts for 20 target

Ah I missed that. I thought it was the new contract after expiry of the old. So if you were looking at the 'daily' price (as I was) it would have moved from one to the other. Are you sure you were actually looking at that month's contract consistently. Or were you looking at the daily price?

By the way I think I said the contract expries 21st earlier. I've just checked they say the 'last dealing time' is 20th @ 19.30. Is that your info too for expiry of the contract?

Capital spreads is a bit odd because the Feb contracts expired last week. I'm not sure why it expired early. The March Contract will expire on the 17 of Feb at 19:30. It looks like I will never be able to hold a contract until *real* expiry.

Hold on, don’t do anything based on anything I wrote. I don’t really know what I am doing and I’m using a second rate spreadbetting platform. :unsure:

When the Feb Contract expired on Capital Spreads (17th at 19:30) the price shot up 100 pips and the March Contract fell by around 50 pips. I was long on Feb at the time but I bailed out in the last hour to go short on March and missed the 100 pip gain :( (I made 50 pips down for March :) ) I made a small profit on my Feb long. I’ve still got my March short open. I've made 200 pips if I cash in now.

I sold my Dow Jones long this morning and took a small profit. Almost perfect timing :D (at 8:00 am), more luck than anything else. I sold the Dow, with the intention of going long on Barclays and then I changed my mind when I saw Barclays rising (i thought I'd missed the upside).

I went short on Sterling VS Euro instead (at 8:30 am) which worked out well for me :lol: . I’ve still got the position open and intend to hold this until we test the lows.

I’m on a bit of a winning streak at the moment. :P

This may all go wrong soon ;)

we are playing "the jump" scenario, as on this chart: http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq30/ke...aily-0113-1.png

we should not pass the toping line, therefore, this is the entry point for a short position, not sure which day it will be (this week and maybe extend to the beginning of the next week), but after that day i expect strong selling

we are playing "the jump" scenario, as on this chart: http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq30/ke...aily-0113-1.png

we should not pass the toping line, therefore, this is the entry point for a short position, not sure which day it will be (this week and maybe extend to the beginning of the next week), but after that day i expect strong selling

The degree of variation in the price I've noticed on this as well as other stocks such as BLND does not seem to reduce markedly as the price declines. So moves of + or - $10 on oil still hold true at $140 or $35. Clearly as a % this makes the investment far more volatile - both more lucrative but also more dangerous. This would mean the opportunity to make money rises exponentially towards the bottom.

What do you think Ker? And if true in your view, why would this be?

if it breaks below the channel line, it is going to be a false break downwards, and a screaming buy. i will be loading up big time

I said that when it broke $90...and then $50.. :lol: Patience is a virtue

Lots of volume at the moment, 5 times as much since last year on the USO

oil210109.jpg

Archived