SILVER

Given previous landslides in the gold:silver ratio, one would expect to see at least 45:1 over this one. It should be one of the more serious ones given BB's inflationary efforts and given that JPMoron's and HSBC's balls are in a vice. 40:1 would be no surprise either.

When JPM took over Bear Stearns in March '08 the GSR was at 47.5, they arranged a heavy manipulation which drove the GSR up to 83, which meant they managed a manipulation of the ratio of 35.5.

God knows where the GSR will end up now that they are being investigated and with them having to unwind there massive silver short. My guess is 35.

20101104-dg2y4879dmdqrwjybrrish7qmw.jpg

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit, I sold a tiny teeny 5% of my silver yesterday. I bought some gold with it. We'll see how that pans out. I will re-buy silver on a dip in ~3 weeks' time (payday) and if there is no dip, will buy some more gold. My Silver position was largely accumulated at G:S >80, around $10/oz, so I am taking a little profit in gold. Also helps a bit with capital gains.

I am still absolutely convinced silver will go over $30, but the last few weeks seem extreme. I will not sell any more silver until G:S is well below where it is now, but I think we may be in for a G:S pullback from ~52 to ~60.

Sorry if I have offended the silver crowd! - it's just a little bit of G:S-ratio-trade profit-taking coupled with a bit of capital gains liability management.

I have to admit, I sold a tiny teeny 5% of my silver yesterday. I bought some gold with it. We'll see how that pans out. I will re-buy silver on a dip in ~3 weeks' time (payday) and if there is no dip, will buy some more gold. My Silver position was largely accumulated at G:S >80, around $10/oz, so I am taking a little profit in gold. Also helps a bit with capital gains.

I am still absolutely convinced silver will go over $30, but the last few weeks seem extreme. I will not sell any more silver until G:S is well below where it is now, but I think we may be in for a G:S pullback from ~52 to ~60.

Sorry if I have offended the silver crowd! - it's just a little bit of G:S-ratio-trade profit-taking coupled with a bit of capital gains liability management.

Can you help me with explaining the protocol for declaring capital gains? If I make a gain within my personal allowance for that tax year, do I have to declare it or is it up to HMRC to ask me for it. As long as I keep a record of any gains made, is that sufficient? Cheers :)

Can you help me with explaining the protocol for declaring capital gains? If I make a gain within my personal allowance for that tax year, do I have to declare it or is it up to HMRC to ask me for it. As long as I keep a record of any gains made, is that sufficient? Cheers :)

No you need to declare it. You are allowed a profit of £10,100 currently and wouldn't have to pay any tax on it. For amounts over that you would pay 18% or 28% dependant on your tax rate.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/intro/working-basics.htm

Lots of talk on G/S ratio's last few days. My next door neighbour subscribes to Shares Mag :rolleyes: Apparently there is a big feature on Silver and a few Silver U.K listed companies. The article includes ways to buy, etf's etc AND quite a bit on the G/S ratio, which I find as something new for main investment press to focus on.

Starting to think it might be worth slowing down Silver purchases (note: not sell) back in favour of Gold myself, as means of a emphasis switch.

Can you double up on your tax free allowance by including your spouse?

Yes you are allowed an allowance £10,100 of capital gains tax free each currently.

Lots of talk on G/S ratio's last few days. My next door neighbour subscribes to Shares Mag :rolleyes: Apparently there is a big feature on Silver and a few Silver U.K listed companies. The article includes ways to buy, etf's etc AND quite a bit on the G/S ratio, which I find as something new for main investment press to focus on.

Starting to think it might be worth slowing down Silver purchases (note: not sell) back in favour of Gold myself, as means of a emphasis switch.

If I was buying bullion at the moment I would still favour silver I think, to me anything over 50:1 silver seems cheap. I have been buying some shares recently though and have been buying gold miners over silver, but then I do have a fair few silver miners already.

If we see another round of de-leveraging I think I would swap some silver back to gold via GM.

US dollars would be a better hedge.

Not really, the idea is to use a USD instrument to generate USD on any downside. Just holding USD doesn't fulfill this scenario at all.

I don't find just holding USD as a very atractive strategy especially as those USD should have been invested in miners months back as me and others were shouting to anyone who could hear at the time.

I remember being banned at that point but me and others were right. Some of us are sitting on 100% gains and would rather lighten up a little profit for some protection than sit there wallowing in a pile of USD doinf absolutely nothing.

Nope USD is no hedge whatsoever.

If I was buying bullion at the moment I would still favour silver I think, to me anything over 50:1 silver seems cheap. I have been buying some shares recently though and have been buying gold miners over silver, but then I do have a fair few silver miners already.

If we see another round of de-leveraging I think I would swap some silver back to gold via GM.

Pixel8r

Can you let me know the names of the UK silver mining shares you are invested in as I would like to put some in an ISA and you can't put in US stocks?

I purchased HOC heavily back in July just because they were the only one I could find so am aware of that one. Funnily enough that has since gone up 70%! but that was as much luck as judgement as I knew it was a good time to buy based on silver falling below 200dma but had no idea of the prospects of the individual company.

Not really, the idea is to use a USD instrument to generate USD on any downside. Just holding USD doesn't fulfill this scenario at all.

I don't find just holding USD as a very atractive strategy especially as those USD should have been invested in miners months back as me and others were shouting to anyone who could hear at the time.

I remember being banned at that point but me and others were right. Some of us are sitting on 100% gains and would rather lighten up a little profit for some protection than sit there wallowing in a pile of USD doinf absolutely nothing.

Miners have been great for the last year, but we still need to remember that they are still lagging heavily the bullion prices. I think we should see them outperform bullion again over the coming year. I have made big profits from miners, but feel reluctant to take profits in them as would be unsure as to where to keep it.

I did take some profit but used it to buy myself a new camera (Hasselblad H4D-50), which is a much more productive asset than leaving it in any fiat currency.

Miners have been great for the last year, but we still need to remember that they are still lagging heavily the bullion prices. I think we should see them outperform bullion again over the coming year. I have made big profits from miners, but feel reluctant to take profits in them as would be unsure as to where to keep it.

I did take some profit but used it to buy myself a new camera (Hasselblad H4D-50), which is a much more productive asset than leaving it in any fiat currency.

Agreed totally!

I have my core position that is going nowhere for at least a year, but I also spread bet here in the UK and make a tidy amount on the dollar value in pounds :rolleyes:

I sleep better at night having some insurance but as the miners surge and my positions become more secure I seem to sleep even better!

Great days these.

Pixel8r

Can you let me know the names of the UK silver mining shares you are invested in as I would like to put some in an ISA and you can't put in US stocks?

I purchased HOC heavily back in July just because they were the only one I could find so am aware of that one. Funnily enough that has since gone up 70%! but that was as much luck as judgement as I knew it was a good time to buy based on silver falling below 200dma but had no idea of the prospects of the individual company.

Arian Silver AGQ is one you could look at.

Can you invest in Canadian stocks?

One I think people should look at is Pinetree Capital (Toronto) PNP.TO they are invested heavily in some 400 g&s explorers and hold a huge ammounts of warrants in these companies.

Do your own due dilligence of course.

Pixel8r

I am in HOC as a UK miner as well, but most of my silver miners are canadian and are held within my ISA. I have found that you can buy most miners that are traded in Canada within an ISA as long as they are listed on the TSE, but not the ones which are traded on the venture exchange. I do have to ring my broker though to buy them.

The Canadian silver miners I hold within my ISA are;

Great Panther Silver (GRP:TSE)

Silvercorp Metals inc. (SVM:TSE)

Silver Wheaton (SLW:TSE)

Beware money illusion. For all you know, you could only be sitting on momentary "paper gains" which can easily reverse for a period. Because rapidly rising prices can quickly retrace in a volatile and unstable market, I prefer gold to silver/ stocks.

A hedge is a hedge. It is not about maximizing "profits", but minimizing risk. US dollars are good to sit on in case markets crash.... at which point you'd put them to work. Simple as that really. If you wanted to increase the dollar hedge, you could trade against volatility if you chose. But the essential factor, considering it's your hedge, is not to lose/ risk dollars.

Liquidity in diverse currencies is the best way to spread your risk. My dollar hedge is in the context of a large bullion holding:

Gold 50%

Silver 10%

Dollars 40%

On a reversal, should it come, I doubt gold would be hit much. Other stuff though could be a lot cheaper in terms of dollars.

Beware money illusion. For all you know, you could only be sitting on momentary "paper gains" which can easily reverse for a period. Because rapidly rising prices can quickly retrace in a volatile and unstable market, I prefer gold to silver/ stocks.

A hedge is a hedge. It is not about maximizing "profits", but minimizing risk. US dollars are good to sit on in case markets crash.... at which point you'd put them to work. Simple as that really. If you wanted to increase the dollar hedge, you could trade against volatility if you chose. But the essential factor, considering it's your hedge, is not to lose/ risk dollars.

Liquidity in diverse currencies is the best way to spread your risk. My dollar hedge is in the context of a large bullion holding:

Gold 50%

Silver 10%

Dollars 40%

On a reversal, should it come, I doubt gold would be hit much. Other stuff though could be a lot cheaper in terms of dollars.

You know you really ought to rethink your strategy with respect to USD and miners.

You seem to be stuck with your strategy and thats it.

Seems odd to me to be still promoting this strategy with where we are now.

Hey ho.

Who else wants to sell some silver?