• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Incidentally, is it just me or has the whole board's timezone changed to EST (ie 5hrs behind the UK)?

It was displaying 5 hours behind for me too. So I reset it to GMT+8 instead of GMT+3, which is my real time.

The question now is, when is the bottom of the dip. Those clever folks out there always say "buy the dips" ... but spotting one without hindsight and/or a time machine is quite tough IMHO.

(30 March 2008) Technically Speaking with Burak is as follows for both silver and gold :

Short term: BEARISH

Medium term: NEUTRAL

Long term: BULLISH

Link here:

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_08/burak033008.html

Has anyone seen this thread on Kitco regarding Paulson's speech?

Bush Administration to do away with Commodity Futures Trade Commission

What affect if any will this have on gold and silver?

It seems to be that this is a move to allow the FED to determine the value of all commodities, including precious metals.

So how are those who trade PM's going to get around the FED setting the value of their commodities which would prevent the trader from having the ability to set their own price?

This is pretty frightening. It's apparent that the FED wants complete control of the economy and wants to be able to set their own prices on commodities rather than their value being determined on the commodity exchange index.

This really doesn't look good. The battle is on to take out the support levels below $920 and have a go at $900. Based on what I've seen so far, it wouldn't surprise me to see them at least get a chance at it.

Silver seems to think it's found a bottom and has bounced, but I'm not so sure it'll hold for any length of time.

Has anyone seen this thread on Kitco regarding Paulson's speech?

Bush Administration to do away with Commodity Futures Trade Commission

What a complete joke, it's like something from the USSR.

The more they try and rig things the worse it will get for them in the end. A move like this will simply accelerate the wealth drain from the US to the east and any western nations not stupid enough to collude with the scheme (sadly, I don't think this will include the UK, Canada, NZ etc).

How deluded and arrogant must the US authorities be if they think they can get away with this. The rest of the world will just carry on without them.

If there is even a shred of truth in this then the US has officially transitioned into lala land.

(from the GOLD thread on Advfn):

energyi - 31 Mar'08 - 18:22 - 37351

Gold is doing what it NEEDS TO DO, ie retest the recent lows.

And (so far) it is doing so on lightish volume. THAT IS GOOD

NEW THREAD - for April:

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=2979

Spliting into a new thread will make it easier to find posts

I'm lining up to add to my core position below $910. The only thing that concerns me is the speed with which we've fallen so far.

I'm almost 100% sure we'll get down to $905 over the next few days, even if it is only for a few seconds, before the journey back to the old highs and beyond begins again. Doesn't stop me feeling nervous about buying though. :unsure:

M.,

Do you mind using the New thread??

(please post response there)

I don't know who is right or wrong (as I haven't been following the details of your altercation), but, regardless of who is the 'winner', I feel that in your last couple of replies, this thread took a small retrograde step towards one aspect of its HPC roots that it seemed to have managed up till now to leave behind.

To be honest, I knew from the moment the thread appeared that it wouldn't be long before this sort of thing reared its head. All the Mad Max-ers who advise buying physical gold, a Glock sidearm and a couple of flashlights can be mildly amusing but this site is geared toward serious but friendly debate on how best to make and preserve wealth in a global environment which seems hell-bent on eroding it.

It'd be nice if we could keep it cvil . . . <_<

• 1 month later...

OIL is getting expensive again- or maybe Gold is too cheap

Zeal082004C.gif

A look Back... Will this forecast prove on-the-mark?

Gold's up about $9 today.

I still think a low at $850, or near to that represents the Ideal target for Gold

001sh2.png

== == ==

Previous GOLD Discussion threads, had

==== : posts // No. Hits

March : 3,063 // 76,163

April.. : 1,464 // 48,577

Note: Posts and viewings have spread out to other threads,

and we've experienced a correction in Gold prices

A new thread each month makes it Far easier to find old posts.

It's a GEI tradition. I hope people do not mind.

If you do, let's discuss it

== LINKS ===

a good article, worth reading.

The Death Of Gold and Lessons from History

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article4566.html

Hi Guys,

I too am an occasional lurker at HPC.co.uk and have been lurking here for quite some time since the demise of the dreaded thread over there - I am enjoying and appreciating the insights here and feeling rather bullish since the bounce on Friday.

I have an account at BV and just wonder what the consensus is on here regarding liquidity there - it often seems pretty active but for example right now it is showing a distinct lack of liquidity with large spreads and small volumes:

bv.jpg

here I would have to go right through depth to close my position - I do appreciate that maybe the west isn't fully 'up and running' after the weekend yet.

I am not picking on BV but it does strike me that you are reliant on other investors to get in/out of the market, and if things take a sudden dive there may be no buyers at all, or it may be very gappy downwards.

With this in mind today I opened a Perth Mint certificate a/c - they will apparently buy at spot - 1% (I think?) - a phone call will lock in the price. Will this protect me in the above situation?

I know of course the answer is not to get in to that situation and to sell 'too early' - but picking a top is going to prove tricky for me as a novice- although I guess there is plenty of time to worry about that!

cheers,

matt

Good post

A drying up of trading and liquidity in a correction in a BULLISH sign

So far, it looks like the importand support level (and my long-standing target) of $850 has held

Good post

A drying up of trading and liquidity in a correction in a BULLISH sign

Could you elucidate a little on your thinking (or insights into the investor behaviour[1]) behind this assertion? :)

[1] Or 'behavior' if you prefer... ;)

I have an account at BV and just wonder what the consensus is on here regarding liquidity there - it often seems pretty active but for example right now it is showing a distinct lack of liquidity with large spreads and small volumes:

matt

Welcome Matt.

I think right now BV is 'shut' due to the Bank Holiday. I think I read that, didn't I !

So like the weekends.

This has been discussed quite a while ago, and I think the conclusion was that if the price moves too far from the 'world' spot price, the BV system will effectively become an intermediary between you and the world market.

Putting it this way, if the price in BV becomes too low, someone will buy a load of the gold and request delivery of it all, and then sell it on the world market.

That I think is the theory anyway.

Re the Perth Mint, is that ALLOCATED gold ?

Hi Guys,

I too am an occasional lurker at HPC.co.uk and have been lurking here for quite some time since the demise of the dreaded thread over there - I am enjoying and appreciating the insights here and feeling rather bullish since the bounce on Friday.

here I would have to go right through depth to close my position - I do appreciate that maybe the west isn't fully 'up and running' after the weekend yet.

I am not picking on BV but it does strike me that you are reliant on other investors to get in/out of the market, and if things take a sudden dive there may be no buyers at all, or it may be very gappy downwards.

With this in mind today I opened a Perth Mint certificate a/c - they will apparently buy at spot - 1% (I think?) - a phone call will lock in the price. Will this protect me in the above situation?

I know of course the answer is not to get in to that situation and to sell 'too early' - but picking a top is going to prove tricky for me as a novice- although I guess there is plenty of time to worry about that!

cheers,

matt

Hey matt..

thanks for immortalising my best BV deal ever! I was the joker with the $28940 offer and it got filled!

I bought it back at $27800. Small Profit. (big time, eh!?, but it's free!)

Seriously, I have noticed BV does have occasional liquidity 'issues' but they are normally shortlived; say whilst they reboot their servers etc.

Seriously, would you be able to sell or buy AT ALL over a holiday weekend at the Perth Mint?

Once the servers start up again (I think they have now) the liquidity will return.

Hey matt..

thanks for immortalising my best BV deal ever! I was the joker with the $28940 offer and it got filled!

I bought it back at $27800. Small Profit. (big time, eh!?, but it's free!)

Seriously, I have noticed BV does have occasional liquidity 'issues' but they are normally shortlived; say whilst they reboot their servers etc.

Seriously, would you be able to sell or buy AT ALL over a holiday weekend at the Perth Mint?

Once the servers start up again (I think they have now) the liquidity will return.

Chris - congrats! Yes that was quite a spread which is what got me thinking :unsure:

thanks for the replies guys - I notice that the liquidity is back right now. Actually the fact that you are on a bank holiday completely escaped me as I am down in Sydney atm.

I guess looking at a lack of liquidity on there got me wondering what it would be like if prices really did start crashing - would the market makers on BV step in the offer a price come what may?

Steve - re the allocated storage at the mint, I haven't purchased anything yet (just opened a/c today but the plan atm is to close my SLV etf position and replicate this at the mint). I was going to go unallocated as the mint is fully backed by the WA govt - I have heard the physical args etc but tbh if the Aus govt defaults then I will probably have more to worry about.

I guess looking at a lack of liquidity on there got me wondering what it would be like if prices really did start crashing - would the market makers on BV step in the offer a price come what may?

I remember a day about a month ago where Gold lost $1000/Kg in a day. there were no major liquidity lapses; indeed more often people making bids above the (already fallen) spot price. This made the fall for me very painless; I was able to trade it down with almost no loss in $USD terms..

EDIT: it was hard work and I had to be fast with the fingers though! (plus having the low commission rate was essential)

Steve - re the allocated storage at the mint, I haven't purchased anything yet (just opened a/c today but the plan atm is to close my SLV etf position and replicate this at the mint). I was going to go unallocated as the mint is fully backed by the WA govt - I have heard the physical args etc but tbh if the Aus govt defaults then I will probably have more to worry about.

Have you thought of a Gold Money a/c ? That does have the advantage of being able to switch between gold & silver.

And use all 3x. Eggs and baskets and all that :D

I'm afraid I have a thing against non-allocated. I know not everyone does.

Although gold has been climbing nicely so far today I can't help but feel that the UK bank holiday has removed a lot of volume and (based on London's generally negative bias) selling pressure from the last 5 hours of trading.

NY will choose the direction from here and you get no prize for guessing which direction that will be.

Overall I'm sure $850 wasn't far from the bottom, but I think we'll get another attempt to break those lows at $845 before we start to undo the damage this correction has done.