• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Now, If I can just judge when to sell.......

Just hold!

I took some profit on crude this morning ... it dipped about $1 from where I'd sold and I nearly jumped back in. Now I'm kicking myself.

Don't make the same mistake with your gold.

A generally good day for us "economic realists" though. Comm's up and GBP and USD both down.

I have to admit it was nice action in gold today, but as I've said it still has an awful lot of work to do before the risk of another big selloff is put to bed.

I'm slightly disappointed that we didn't pop upwards when gold broke through $883, I was really expecting that to be the moment that the shorts finally started to let go. I suppose that's part of the problem at the moment, the shorts have so many lines of defence that they are happy to hold for longer.

For the record I'm still not convinced, there was much better volume today by the look of things, but it looked to me like it only came in after the bulk of the move had already been made. When the volume did arrive, it didn't do much for the price considering where we were on the charts (we could have easily popped up towards $900 if they'd got any real traction), which means big selling volume kept a lid on those longs.

I still wouldn't buy here to be honest. I think I'll wait and see where the next bout of selling takes us.

Looks like I'm still in Grinch mode for gold then. :ph34r:

The parabolic move in gold may be close.

Turk has been talking about a possible Dollar Collapse thie summer.

If we see that, Goldis likely to soar, and "go parabolic".

So many Gold ebars about now, it could happen from here.

But Iwoudl still prefer to see a retest of $850 on light volume

Someone over at GIM wrote:

price of crude today a little scary....just hit $122

golds gotta start exploding any time soon

The average price ratio since 1946 would imply gold at $1,800. And that's only average, a peak in gold could be 2 times higher. :)

Bloomberg headline: Fannie Mae Has $2.19 Billion Loss; Shares Rise on Regulator's Capital Plan

No more questions, people are totally deluded. Buy gold.

and, Merril's L3 assets went UP by 70% as mortgages were reclassified (presumably the start of that ALT-A crud being downgraded!)

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Stock price basically unchanged. Utterly delusional, methinks. Ohh-arrr.. where be my gold? (pirate voice) :lol:

Jim seems to think the bottom is in for gold for now. He says that gold will take out $1024 on the third try. Does this mean a correction once we get to $1024 again and if so, how much of a correction?

The New Zealand 6 monthly

Hmm.

Looks like NZ led the US over that period.

I cannot think why...

A Silver Coating in the Fight Against Microbes

"A new technique in paint making could soon make almost any surface germfree. Researchers have made paint that is embedded with silver nanoparticles known for their ability to kill bacteria and other microbes, in the hope that hospitals will coat their walls and countertops to fight infection."

Article in Scientific American.

"A new technique in paint making could soon make almost any surface germfree. Researchers have made paint that is embedded with silver nanoparticles known for their ability to kill bacteria and other microbes, in the hope that hospitals will coat their walls and countertops to fight infection."

Forgive me for being over-simplistic. But that's got to require a lot of silver, surely?!

I've just found this chart in the same report. Interesting.

Great charts Steve, thanks.

Seems from the LIBOR OIS that the crisis just not wants to go away. Paul Volcker -- "mother of alll financial crises". Astonishing how well it is managed so far. Has also much to do with the fact that people just don't understand and carry on as usual. It needs a lot of time to feed through.

The Romans put silver in their drinking water storage tanks for the same reason. Some domestic water filters are silver impregnated activated carbon. silver nano technology is the next step. Could be interesting.

You may paint the hospital walls with the stuff but you still have to get the doctors to wash their hands.

Fascinating, interesting for silver, but also rather worrying.

Do Nanoparticles in Food Pose a Health Risk?

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=do-nan...ose-health-risk

:blink: :blink:

David Cameron has just been mocking Brown's "financial genius" at PMQs. "This is the man who sold gold at the bottom of the market."

So, will gold become a mainstream topic, I wonder?

I suspect not until it manages to hold above $1000/oz . . .

Even then, it's not something that tends to affect people's daily lives in the way the price of oil does. People don't really need to understand the fundamentals behind oil's rise - all they know is it's ridiculously expensive to fill the Mondeo. Can't see the Sun running a "Remedial Precious Metals 101" spread next to Keeley Hazell's rack somehow :lol:

I think I'm losing my faith...

I'm in danger of selling up and going back to 5% savings accounts! :o

When even the faithful start to despair, that's usually a sign we are near the bottom! :P

http://quotes.ino.com/chart/?s=NYBOT_DX&am...p;t=l&a=100

Going by the usual script, the $US run shouldn't have too much legs left in it, it usually kisses the 100dma before failing and falling to lower lows. Now that the cutting cycle appears to be coming to an end, we may not see such rapid declines in the dollar and gains gold for a little while, but remember, even according to the US govts own cooked statistics, we are still in negative real interest rates.

Personally, my gut feeling is that we've probably seen the low of this correction, but not for the last time. We've almost but not quite washed all the speculative excesses out. So I think there'll be a bit of a bounce into the mid 900s perhaps, some consolidation for a couple of months and a retest of the lows toward the end of the summer before finally hitting the trigger level and taking off again..

This is a great time to be accumulating beaten down mining stocks IMO