Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

This was TOTALLY predictable.

Council workers mass strike

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7508717.stm

Apologies in advance to any council workers on here (who I'm sure do have the time during their day job to surf...) IMO the councils and council workers have been getting fat off over inflated government budgets and council tax collections for the last decade. How predictable then at a time where there is very little real chance of effective strikes in the private sector (cos they're mostly shit scared of losing there jobs), that council workers will feel they have a god given right to demand ever increasing pay deals to buy more cream eclairs and elephants feet off the old Doris who trundles round twice a day with her trolley.

This will be a massive problem for the British resident over the coming years, Brown and Blair have got so much to answer for. How can a Traffic Warden possibly justify being paid more than a grunt in the army for example and expect more on top?

I am currently re-training to be a pilot (oh, I know, great timing, but at least I'll be able to flee by air should riots start or join the airforce :blink: when the war comes!).

Anyway, as part of the training, you need, among other things, a medical and a police record check. Being smart, I think I'll kill two birds with one stone and get my eyes checked then go to the cop shop just round the corner to get my proof of ID done (for the UK police record check).

So I rock up to the opticians and have all the tests done. Only problem is, to check the retina, the optician puts these drops in my eye that make my pupil relax so that he can see in easily. Now I don't know if you have ever had this done but not only does it mean you can't focus on anything nearer than 10ft away, but it stops your eye being able to reduce the amount of light coming in. Paying was difficult as I couldn't see the buttons on the pin number machine.

So then I go in to the police station and queue up. It's very bright in the waiting area with all the fluorescents so even though it's actually a dull Wellington day, I have to wear my dark sunglasses in there. As I get closer to the front of the queue, I suddenly realise that here I am, in a police station, wearing sunners on a dull day, completely unable to focus on anything and with the biggest, most stoned looking pupils just waiting to be exposed to the officer on the desk (when he wants to make sure I look like th ebloke in my passport). I can't even tell him where to sign as I can't read the form anymore.

Luckily he just looked at me (sunglasses and all), looked at the photocopy of my passport and stamped it with his 'ok by us' stamp. New Zealands police are the best!!

Hey, Sylvester, I'm learning to fly too- just about to do a Class-II medical (PPL) in the UK. I am pretty worried actually! You going for a CPL??

This was TOTALLY predictable.

Council workers mass strike

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7508717.stm

Apologies in advance to any council workers on here (who I'm sure do have the time during their day job to surf...) IMO the councils and council workers have been getting fat off over inflated government budgets and council tax collections for the last decade. How predictable then at a time where there is very little real chance of effective strikes in the private sector (cos they're mostly shit scared of losing there jobs), that council workers will feel they have a god given right to demand ever increasing pay deals to buy more cream eclairs and elephants feet off the old Doris who trundles round twice a day with her trolley.

This will be a massive problem for the British resident over the coming years, Brown and Blair have got so much to answer for. How can a Traffic Warden possibly justify being paid more than a grunt in the army for example and expect more on top?

Agreed, this is yet another time bomb ticking close to zero. To be honest at present they are arguing from a position of strength, as for the New Labour morons to deny them would lead to an even bigger economic headache in the short term. I bet the average public sector union head is thinking they can get away with murder at the moment.

The problem for them is that the reality of their position is much more tenous than they realise. In terms of productivity and value most of the public sector are already vastly overpaid and overprotected. Once the private world starts the layoffs in earnest demand for public sector jobs will rise dramatically and the government will be in a far better position to dictate terms.

The clever unions probably realise this and are trying to scoff what they can from the trough before farmer Brown stops dishing out slops. The dumb unions who take things to far will suffer on an epic scale as the true deflationary bust part of this crisis plays out (that's if there are any left after the hyperinflationary holocaust, of course).

Hey, Sylvester, I'm learning to fly too- just about to do a Class-II medical (PPL) in the UK. I am pretty worried actually! You going for a CPL??

Good luck with that! Bare in mind if there is any chance that you want to do it for a living, then do the sensible thing and get a class 1. I have only been to my doctor three times. The first for a class 2 medical, then desided to be a paid pilot so went back for a class 1 then joined the rural firefighters so had to go for my third!

I am aiming for ATPL. About 3/4 in on the ground school and exams but a long way to go flying wise.

Where are you learning?

Hope so! I get more powder next week. Will buy at 970 and will TRY to restrain myself if it is higher. :lol:

Frankly, I am amazed it is still so low. Think about it.... it was $300- $400 years ago [80's].... when dollars were worth quite a bit more than they are now [not sure of the exact inflation adjusted maths] and we still have gold at a mere 970 in debased 2008 dollars.... amid a rapidly developing banking crisis! :huh:

Think of all that pent up energy in gold. All it may take is one more bank run to send investors on mass into gold. The price could explode any day... I am hoping not as like others here, would like to further add to my stash.

Talk about a golden opportunity.

Edit, Gold now back to 980.

Hope so! I get more powder next week. Will buy at 970 and will TRY to restrain myself if it is higher. :lol:

Why would you restrain yourself?

Think of all that pent up energy in gold. All it may take is one more bank run to send investors on mass into gold. The price could explode any day...

If this is the case, aren't you at great risk of missing the boat when it does leave port? If you are expecting an imminent, sudden & large price rise but are uncertain of when that will happen, why would you try to time your entry to capture another 1% gain, when you could lose out on multiples of that?

Frankly, I am amazed it is still so low. Think about it.... it was $300- $400 years ago [80's].... when dollars were worth quite a bit more than they are now [not sure of the exact inflation adjusted maths] and we still have gold at a mere 970 in debased 2008 dollars.... amid a rapidly developing banking crisis! :huh:

Think of all that pent up energy in gold. All it may take is one more bank run to send investors on mass into gold. The price could explode any day... I am hoping not as like others here, would like to further add to my stash.

I was thinking.... since the 80's, there's been a huge shift into stockmarket based investing, which was adopted heavily in America.

Everyone has been brought up over the last 30 years or so, that the stockmarket is the best (only?) place to be if you want to stand a chance of making money and keeping ahead of inflation.

Here in the UK, financial advisors recommend pension funds to invest in a mix of stocks, bonds and property.

People tend to go along with what they're recommended.

I wonder what percentage of this whole generation, used to one-way of thinking about investments, would suddenly think of switching into Gold, something that hasn't even been considered as part of a balanced portfolio before?

Could take quite a radical shift in Joe Public's way of thinking...

Why would you restrain yourself?

If this is the case, aren't you at great risk of missing the boat when it does leave port? If you are expecting an imminent, sudden & large price rise but are uncertain of when that will happen, why would you try to time your entry to capture another 1% gain, when you could lose out on multiples of that?

Exactly! ;)

I only buy and hold physical, so what is the point of worrying about pennies. As they say on FSN, the bull market will rescue you every time.

I was thinking.... since the 80's, there's been a huge shift into stockmarket based investing, which was adopted heavily in America.

Everyone has been brought up over the last 30 years or so, that the stockmarket is the best (only?) place to be if you want to stand a chance of making money and keeping ahead of inflation.

Here in the UK, financial advisors recommend pension funds to invest in a mix of stocks, bonds and property.

People tend to go along with what they're recommended.

I wonder what percentage of this whole generation, used to one-way of thinking about investments, would suddenly think of switching into Gold, something that hasn't even been considered as part of a balanced portfolio before?

Could take quite a radical shift in Joe Public's way of thinking...

Was thinking the same thing earlier today. Started a thread on it here:

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=3719

A bank clerk is under the last category of the seven listed; 'a director, officer or manager of a regulated financial services business which is operating in a well-regulated jurisdiction' and goes on to include within the definition branches of regulated financial services businesses.

Can't say I'm convinced your average bank clerk could legally act as a bank officer, but if GoldMoney are happy with it then all to the good!

"A bank officer is an employee of a bank endowed with the legal capacity to agree to and sign documents on behalf of the institution. The title is usually held by branch managers, assistant managers, loan officers, and other experienced personnel. Executives and others holding titles such as "Vice President" are considered officers of the bank for legal purposes.

The title is also used to designate those branch personnel who act in a supervisory capacity. In larger banks, an officer at the branch level sometimes reviews accounts and makes decisions on whether to honour NSF items or to return them. Such decisions are usually left up to those who are legally responsible to act on behalf of the bank."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_officer

Can you believe my GP's charge £45 to validate passports?!

Is that a yes to GM accepting a GP's validation?

Has the guy in your avatar just had his validated or has he been subjected to the insertion of a hot poker in an inconvenient place?

Gawd-deemed Blimpberg !

Once again, they have cutaway in the middle of Ron Paul's question- the highlight

of the morning's testimony

Doing their best, to keep sheeple dumbed-down

Gawd-deemed Blimpberg !

Once again, they have cutaway in the middle of Ron Paul's question- the highlight

of the morning's testimony

I missed the question but CNBC had his post-answer comments in full. 'It is the unwinding of a 35 year bubble in the dollar', 'Prices haven't gone up in terms of gold, just the fiat currencies' etc. etc.. No comment from Binky.

These plunges on New York open certainly look suspicious. But if they are statistically more likely as much analysis on the net suggests, why are traders not taking the opportunity profit on the pattern and bleed the fed dry.

Why are we all not selling a 9pm EST and buying at 11 EST every day and generating one huge elongating spot price sine wave?