• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

By the way, it's nice to be back.... not that I was ever the most prolific poster on this thread... but despite being internetless while emigrating, I've managed to check in for a quick lurk most days.

Always enlightening. :)

Where from and to, if you don't mind me asking.

-----------------

I'm just spending my time collecting rocket pictures :lol: :lol:

Strange isn't it? Despite all that's happened gold is sat in pretty much exactly the same place as it was at the start of the year in £ terms (for larger quantities of gold only, coins and small bars are, of course a different matter).

I've been looking to buy a kilo gold bar or two and I think I may just take the plunge right now. I haven't a clue where the £ is going, and to be honest I don't think it matters, pretty much every currency is going to be worth a hell of a lot less in a year's time.

Hi M- Yes, excellent point. IMO we can afford to bracket whether gold is a good investment or not [though I think it is] and think of it just as an alternative and historically proven currency. Can anyone remember the last time when currencies were so volatile? And as for the US dollar, it is seriously running the risk of doing a titanic; straight up in the air before sinking... though it may take some time.

Surely, the most conservatively [and openly] minded would want to have a serious chunk of there worth in gold/silver given the stress currencies are under today.

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....ic=5016&hl=

Hi M- Yes, excellent point. IMO we can afford to bracket whether gold is a good investment or not [though I think it is] and think of it just as an alternative and historically proven currency. Can anyone remember the last time when currencies were so volatile? And as for the US dollar, it is seriously running the risk of doing a titanic; straight up in the air before sinking... though it may take some time.

Surely, the most conservatively [and openly] minded would want to have a serious chunk of there worth in gold/silver given the stress currencies are under today.

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....ic=5016&hl=

My thoughts exactly although the GBP is looking worse that USD right now which is why i continue to hold PM

My thoughts exactly although the GBP is looking worse that USD right now which is why i continue to hold PM

I bought PMs with kiwi dollars and Korean won, both of which are tanking [the fiat currencies that is]. I continue to remind myself which currencies I bought in as the media tends only to post the price in US dollars. :)

Agreed. I know a lot of people won't want to hear this, but I can't see gold going up again significantly for many months and I'm expecting further declines just before Christmas. Not that this will make any difference to the price of a physical ounce (so I'll keep drip feeding in that department), but I think it could be wise to start building a good cash pile in the meantime.

I would expect to get some good stink bids on commodity shares just before Xmas, particularly if we've had another sell off before then. If prices are further down I think the old end of year tax bargains game could be extremely profitable. Any thoughts for another end of year tax bargain list, Bubb?

Agreed. I bought my first bit of silver to keep the voice inside my head quiet. However the rational part of my brain keeps trying to remember H. Hendry, who I think espoused some very good 'advice'.

This chart - of the WTI-to-Gold ratio

004cr0.png

...suggests you should be shifting from "expensive" Gold into "cheap" Oil.

I am calling for a possible Major Low in oil within a few days, and a few dollars.

THE CALL is on this thread:

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=5014

Apologies if this has been already posted:

View of the Day: Gold prices poised for gains

By Leon Esterhuizen

Published: November 11 2008 17:10 | Last updated: November 11 2008 17:10

The current financial crisis has delivered the perfect conditions for the price of gold to rise over the next year or two, believes Leon Esterhuizen, equity analyst at RBC Capital Markets.

He points out that, historically, banking crises have tended to be hugely deflationary, as interest rates are cut aggressively and for extended periods.

”We expect the Federal Reserve to ease further in order to turn market sentiment away from pricing in low or no growth, which would be reflected in a low long bond yield.”

Ultimately, this would be likely to lead to dollar weakness - which is beneficial to US exports but heightens the risk of steep inflation, Mr Esterhuizen says.

”If economic growth rapidly rebounds, the gamble will have paid off. If not, be prepared for an even bigger collapse in a year or two from now. Given current conditions, the US has little option but to take that bet.”

He adds that Europe will converge with the US in terms of cutting rates, strengthening the case for an extended period of rock-bottom real rates.

Finally, oil could play a key role, as recent efforts by producers to reduce output might leave crude prices higher than many expect.

”If this is the case, inflation will most certainly be rising in an environment where rates are being cut. This is gold price heaven – declining real rates or even negative real rates will drive the gold price much higher.”

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2008

Lots of flip-flopping evident lately although I'm as guilty of it as the next guy. Frankly, as long as sterling continues its descent, I'm happy enough. My gold's doing its job !

Yep, G&S down but £ down more so... Thinking of putting the last bit of £ I have in savings into G. It would seem that £ = toast. Oh, lordy... I think RH with his deflation = fiat crisis theory could be right. Surely the crap $ will pop too - what the F does it stand for?

$680 here we come...

You are optimistic!.

If gold were to hit $550 ( as a lot now believe it will) and maintain its price in sterling it would suggest an exchange rate of 1.14 against the dollar :blink:

Can anyone see this happening?......so how long has the dollar got?

Yep, G&S down but £ down more so... Thinking of putting the last bit of £ I have in savings into G. It would seem that £ = toast. Oh, lordy... I think RH with his deflation = fiat crisis theory could be right. Surely the crap $ will pop too - what the F does it stand for?

RH?

You are optimistic!.

If gold were to hit $550 ( as a lot now believe it will) and maintain its price in sterling it would suggest an exchange rate of 1.14 against the dollar :blink:

Can anyone see this happening?......so how long has the dollar got?

That's still above my target, but I would be looking for gold at $2,500 at the time. :)