• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Sinclair is like a deranged pit canary. I agree with a buy and hold strategy, but I've lost count of the number of THIS IS IT cry wolf comments he's made in the last few years.

If THIS ISN'T it, then what IS IT?? :blink:

Only because IT is so BIG and protracted that you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't it. :rolleyes:

If THIS ISN'T it, then what IS IT?? :blink:

Only because IT is so BIG and protracted that you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't it. :rolleyes:

I can see 'it'. But Sinclair's 'right here, right now' comments do nothing but lure people into leverage and rash decisions.

Those who could see 'it' have already taken their positions. Panic-making posts from Mineset add nothing to the rational case for owning gold.

I can see 'it'. But Sinclair's 'right here, right now' comments do nothing but lure people into leverage and rash decisions.

Those who could see 'it' have already taken their positions. Panic-making posts from Mineset add nothing to the rational case for owning gold.

Except he's repeatedly said anyone who buys gold with debt is stupid :D

He's actually said "pay off debt, and buy gold with any currency you have left".

Big moves over the last couple of months gold down to £575 from £700

And £ up 30cents against the dollar - a 20% move!

I suspect that this cannot be sustained and a reversal is surely on the cards given that the UK is in even worse shape than the US. Got a large amount of cash (in pounds sterling) coming my way and thinking now is the time start moving that in to gold and perhaps some gold mining stocks. I know even the gold bulls in here have not been buying gold of late. Do any of you now think this could be the time to accumulate again especially if you are holding pounds?

I have the Sterling cash, but not buying back in ....yet

Big moves over the last couple of months gold down to £575 from £700

And £ up 30cents against the dollar - a 20% move!

I suspect that this cannot be sustained and a reversal is surely on the cards given that the UK is in even worse shape than the US. Got a large amount of cash (in pounds sterling) coming my way and thinking now is the time start moving that in to gold and perhaps some gold mining stocks. I know even the gold bulls in here have not been buying gold of late. Do any of you now think this could be the time to accumulate again especially if you are holding pounds?

The risk is another round of deleveraging. If/when this happens, the pound is likely to go back to where it was, most probably worse, making gold more expensive... this would also apply to other currencies such as the aussie and kiwi.

It really depends what your macro view is and what currencies you are in. Personally, I will be buying cheap US dollars for the next two months which should spike nicely on the safety trade if this recovery collapses.

But Sinclair's 'right here, right now' comments do nothing but lure people into leverage and rash decisions.

No they don't. Sinclair has SPECIFICALLY stated on numerous occasions that people should NOT be using leverage to buy gold. If they go ahead and do so that's their own problem.

Sinclair also now stating that electronic Gold may not be safe - even from the most prestigious of providers. Anyone here planning on taking delivery from GM?

I don't have a huge amount, but its all with GM. If it comes to the stage where those holdings are not 'safe', so be it; there will probably have bigger problems that require my attention by then.

I'm not interested in keeping physical as the risk and the worry factor in getting mugged/robbed means that I'm quite happy to take my chances with GM.

So no plans here :)

I'm not interested in keeping physical as the risk and the worry factor in getting mugged/robbed means that I'm quite happy to take my chances with GM.

So no plans here :)

Maybe worth taking a percentage out, as if physical becomes 'king', the incerease in value of the stuff in your hands would compensate you for the loss of the electronic stuff. It's quite easy to secret away gold, btw. Clairvoyant druids, and all.

I don't have a huge amount, but its all with GM. If it comes to the stage where those holdings are not 'safe', so be it; there will probably have bigger problems that require my attention by then.

If GM or BV were discovered to be untrustworthy, would this not in turn push up the demand (and spot price) for physical gold.

Would keeping a balance between physical and allocated holdings protect against this?

RH got me intrigued to look into this further.

In the chart below, I think it will be obvious to many traders that gold is making a potential cup and handle candlechart.

I have also boxed out the two candlechart patterns that made a double bottom. Many people would have seen this and will be selling out now.

If the handle part goes down to $936, then I think everyone and his dog will be back in. I will be dipping my toe back in, but with caution as still could go down to $911.

What do you guys think? I am not trading any of this btw - i am only buying and holding my gold.

ae0end.png

Got to 936.50 so i was 50 cents out!

Later on today (less likely) or with a gap up on Monday (more likely), we should get our 'you know what' pictures ready!

Of course DYOR...could still go to 840...or 911...

If GM or BV were discovered to be untrustworthy, would this not in turn push up the demand (and spot price) for physical gold.

Would keeping a balance between physical and allocated holdings protect against this?

I have half my bullion in a vault for the long term. The other half is with goldmoney so I can "trade" a little between silver, gold and US dollars if I wish.

I am focused mostly on the gold/silver ratio these days. If in the near future we get another deflation scare, then another inflation scare ad nauseum this ratio could be very volatile and profitable.

Red or brown sauce?

I'm ready, and I hope it happens - but if it does i don't see it fitting into either the Head & Shoulders or the Cup & Handle. It will happen because of the timing of fundamentals which are completely independent of chart patterns.

I'd like to publicly thank CGNAO, GoldFinger, Bubb and all the other great posters on GEI that have given me the history, courage and conviction to 'understand' gold. Well at best as my little brain can cope with!

I wasn't even alive when we went off a gold standard on 15th August 1971, but in case you remember it or need to be reminded of it here is some mood music of that era.

8. I'm Still Waiting

Diana Ross - Chart Topper: August 21 - September 18

"I'm Still Waiting" first appeared on Ross' 1971 album "Everything Is Everything".

It was a mild success in the US, reaching No. 63 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. However, in the UK singles chart, it reached No.1 for four weeks in August 1971, prompting a re-title in the UK of the album "Surrender" to the title "I'm Still Waiting".

Although initially intended only as an album track, BBC Radio 1 disc jockey Tony Blackburn featured it heavily on his morning program and persuaded EMI, who then issued all Tamla Motown material in the UK, to release it as a single.

I can't help but read 'more' into the UK album title change!

I'd like to publicly thank CGNAO, GoldFinger, Bubb and all the other great posters on GEI that have given me the history, courage and conviction to 'understand' gold. Well at best as my little brain can cope with!

I wasn't even alive when we went off a gold standard on 15th August 1971.

[

+1

except I was alive then though do not remember Nixon leaving the gold standard- I do remember people were much more worried about the financial mess the uk was in the 70's than they are now and people were genuinely worried.

There was a Labour government in the 70's that had spent too much that is almost a repeat but the worry that existed then of some sort of economic collapse looming is not present now .