• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

I actually thought it was a very good, honest and true post CJ.

Whatever it is AliveandKicking is doing here...he's not doing it very well.

I couldn't quite work RH out for a while, but his posts today and over the weekend have been excellent.

By the way where is DrBubb?? I'm up on the platform of the Titanic feeling another chill in the air and Bubb is nowhere to be seen? :unsure:

Ta

Its only s small iceberg it'll hardly cause a scratch.

£1,103 is it only me that wants to talk about gold? :lol:

Ta

Its only s small iceberg it'll hardly cause a scratch.

£1,103 is it only me that wants to talk about gold? :lol:

$1,104/1,104.7

in other news.

NWG.L responded quite well to the news someone wants to buy them, those are the kind of moves I like.

not quite 100% detection ratio, but then right now its better to have a lower detection ratio and no false positives, than a higher one with some, max leverage, double the money in that tranch in a little over 60 hours. Love it.

Perhaps that was a very clever reference to SIVs and nothing to do with them there mesh thingies....!

Well I wouldn't be getting my hands dirty.

There's people who like that sort of thing.

I'm not sure which is worse.

That I didn't know how to spell it.

That its wasn't entirely unintentional.

Or that it only took a fraction of a second to realise that was probably the best way to spell it anyway.

The problem is value, a very contingent thing, is eroding from both assets and currencies today [i've referred to this as hyper-deflation], jeopardizing the global economy. If the process is not arrested [and I think gold/ a new Bretton Woods can play a role here] then, as you suggest, we may be looking at tanks and bombs. Personally, I think governments are a bit more inventive than that.

I see two main problems with the whole idea that the global economy could ever go back to a "gold standard".

Firstly, price fixing is illegal in all modern states.

Secondly, price fixing pretty much guarantees corruption and black markets.

My post above has been reported and I have been warned again!!

Can nobody say anything they believe to be true on this website?

What thoughtcrime does this come under this time?

Crazy

You were probably reported by a paper troll because your were getting too close to revealing him/her

But these bans are becoming like ASBOs, some of us are feeling left out because we haven't yet had one :rolleyes:

Cheers FK there is a distinct lack of a sense of humour on this site I think it is too many paper bugs worried about their investments.

I tnink we go up to $1,500 from here however I would never bet the house on it - especially as I sold it three years ago!!

Onwards and upwards.

How about you stop this nonesense and begin believing:

1. people who are not paper bugs are concerned about their none cash and physical asset investments doing badly in deflation

2. Plenty of people here are invested with paper claims to gold via the various online retailers,

3. Most people here dont go around endlessly ramping their investments as if failure was an impossible to admit option

4. People like to discuss things one way or another from various points of view without the kind of junk that you dish out about them having vested interests that they dont have.

You and fit kid and co keep spewing out the same toxic garbage at other posters and then you disguise this by saying you have a sense of humour.

I might not be smart enough to add much to the purpose of this website but I would like to think my posts do not have a damaging effect. Its a shame some others do not feel the same way. Its a good job Im not a moderator as id ban them all. If you dont like it the **** ***

Thanks to those who add some great content to this site.

$1,104/1,104.7

in other news.

NWG.L responded quite well to the news someone wants to buy them, those are the kind of moves I like.

not quite 100% detection ratio, but then right now its better to have a lower detection ratio and no false positives, than a higher one with some, max leverage, double the money in that tranch in a little over 60 hours. Love it.

:lol:

How about you stop this nonesense and begin believing:

1. people who are not paper bugs are concerned about their none cash and physical asset investments doing badly in deflation

2. Plenty of people here are invested with paper claims to gold via the various online retailers,

3. Most people here dont go around endlessly ramping their investments as if failure was an impossible to admit option

4. People like to discuss things one way or another from various points of view without the kind of junk that you dish out about them having vested interests that they dont have.

You and fit kid and co keep spewing out the same toxic garbage at other posters and then you disguise this by saying you have a sense of humour.

Here we go again more censorship I express my point of view on an open forum and again I get some poster I tend to ignore attacking me and telling me what I should and should not say!!

I have n o idea what toxic garbage you are talking about and frankly I really don't care.

There was no need for this outburst I was replying to another poster.

If you cannot stand to see poits of view different to yours I suggest you stop using forums and talk to yourself infront of the mirror.

I have not the time to waste on you anymore.

You were probably reported by a paper troll because your were getting too close to revealing him/her

But these bans are becoming like ASBOs, some of us are feeling left out because we haven't yet had one :rolleyes:

You would think it quite likely that part of the strategy of maintaining fiat money in the internet age would involve employing sympathetic gold bugs who are always waiting for a better time to buy.

It is a reasonable proposition which could be debated and considered but the venom and spite expressed by some posters the bannings warnings etc. are quite extraordinary.

I think the vitriol expressed by some posters here says it all.

Its my proposition that it might be possible and more than likely people can debate with me but to censor me and attck me for my point of view is pretty disgusting IMO.

I personally am very interested in how fiat was accepted in place of a gold standard and how it is maintained in the internet age but obviously its just me.

I personally am very interested in how fiat was accepted in place of a gold standard and how it is maintained in the internet age but obviously its just me.

A large number of posters here are intererested in economics and these kinds of issues

The gold standard involved paper claims and trust they would be honoured

Fiat involves paper claims and trust that the value of the claim will be available for us when we come to spend the claim

In the gold standard a person could hold physical gold

In the fiat system a person can hold physical gold

In the gold standard if people hoarded gold it created problems for the management of the money supply which could be resolved by reclaiming gold held by people in return for paper promises.

In the fiat system if people hoard notes it creates a management problem that can be resolved by devaluing over time the value of the claims that are held

Both systems used promises and agreements

Both involved a large amount of paper promises

You would think it quite likely that part of the strategy of maintaining fiat money in the internet age would involve employing sympathetic gold bugs who are always waiting for a better time to buy.

It is a reasonable proposition which could be debated and considered but the venom and spite expressed by some posters the bannings warnings etc. are quite extraordinary.

I think the vitriol expressed by some posters here says it all.

Its my proposition that it might be possible and more than likely people can debate with me but to censor me and attck me for my point of view is pretty disgusting IMO.

there are a few others like me who are also interested. :D

It's the fiat holders who appear to be getting very angry imo.

anger stage reached.

an old but nice piece:

clicky linky

"Kondratieff Winter Survival Guide

Now that the winter is upon us, how can we best navigate this most challenging cycle phase of the Kondratieff Wave? This section is dedicated to providing guidelines and insight for that very purpose. First and foremost, we must not allow fear to permeate our condition or our decisions because obsessing about our woes prevents us from making the most objective decisions for our prosperity."

"We have entered the period of the cycle marked by a deflationary asset bust and slowing global GDP growth. Paper assets, including tangible assets such as homes and land, had appreciated for decades and were due to reverse course. However debt levels had risen over the past few decades to all-time highs and drove asset prices even much higher than they would have under previous cycles. Home prices in the US rose every year since the end of the Depression in the mid 1940’s through 2006, over 60 years, and thus still may

slide further until an equilibrium is found. The debt wave that just recently peaked was

fueled in great part by new financial alchemy of securitization through structured finance products that compounded the leverage even more. Clearly, the great de-leveraging of

assets will continue into the foreseeable future and thus it is prudent to avoid making any investments of securities tied to the credit process until this de-leveraging has run its course and the global banking system is on more solid ground."

Hopefully this article will be of interest to you:

The Descent of Money By Bill Bonner

Note: scroll half way down the linked page to get to the article

Gold vs. Paper. It's not just a question for our age...it's one for the ages. Before intelligent investors look forward, they might first like to see how things panned out in the past. In today's essay, Bill takes a look at the history books...

The first modern competition between gold and paper money ended like the pre-modern ones. Gold won. Herewith, a short summary:

Conclusion...

No natural life survives the lifecycle. And no paper currency standard has ever survived a complete credit cycle. It is just a matter of time until we hear the explosion and see body parts flying.

there are a few others like me who are also interested. :D

It's the fiat holders who appear to be getting very angry imo.

anger stage reached.

Yes its true I have noticed on a lot of other forums a real influx of angry merchants HPC had quite an episode.

I can't believe the authorities wouldn't use the internet and its forums to their advantage I know it certainly happens extensively in the commercial world it would be almost unthinkable for the authorities not to try to subvert the anti fiat message.

I am learning more about Kondratieff waves but I don't believe we have seen the spike or crack up boom which will lead to callapse.

Very interesting none the less I am always open to debate and any new information.

"The emitting of paper money is wisely prohibited to the state governments and the spirit of the prohibition ought not to be disregarded by the United States Government." As a result of this and further abuses of paper money during the time of the Articles of the Confederation, Article I, Section 10 appears in our Constitution: "No state shall ... make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts."

http://www.founderspatriots.org/articles/continental.htm

Written a while back, so maybe best forgotten

Hopefully this article will be of interest to you:

The Descent of Money By Bill Bonner

Note: scroll half way down the linked page to get to the article

Conclusion...

Cheers DS nice article I particularly like the Descent of Money title as an antedote to Fergusons ascent of money which seemed a bit in awe of the fiat regime. I suspect he would have written it differently if he was writing it today as he has dsicovered his bearishness.

Granted it will end in tears, but the authorities will not give up without a fight which brings us to where we are now!!

->The first modern competition between gold and paper money ended like the pre-modern ones. Gold won.Herewith, a short summary: [insert irrelevant gibberish here]

I would say it was far more relevant to this thread than arrogant crowing about how well you have done with a company that has f&ck all to do with gold!

I would say it was far more relevant to this thread than arrogant crowing about how well you have done with a company that has f&ck all to do with gold!

I still cant work out if people who think we are going back to gold standards are genuine or if they work for the gold miners and and other industry folk who benefit from raising the profile of gold

Why would any group of people capable of controlling the world revert back to a gold standard???

If people want sound money and they control the world they can just raise interest rates.

"The emitting of paper money is wisely prohibited to the state governments and the spirit of the prohibition ought not to be disregarded by the United States Government." As a result of this and further abuses of paper money during the time of the Articles of the Confederation, Article I, Section 10 appears in our Constitution: "No state shall ... make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts."

http://www.founderspatriots.org/articles/continental.htm

Written a while back, so maybe best forgotten

Why did Congress go on printing money for so long a time rather than attempt some sort of taxation? Just as today, there was a mindset among politicians which made them want to avoid the unpleasant. One member of the Continental Congress was quoted as saying: "Do you think, gentlemen, that I will consent to load my constituents with taxes, when we can send to our printer and get a wagon load of money, one quire of which will pay for the whole?".

I think the above is exactly where we are now.

I often find the things written a while back are the best things written. Thanks.

I often find the things written a while back are the best things written. Thanks.

But there is always the danger of the peasantry waking up & revolting; hence my 'best forgotten' remark

Though such is not likely in the UK if it was broadcast every day :(

I still cant work out if people who think we are going back to gold standards are genuine or if they work for the gold miners and and other industry folk who benefit from raising the profile of gold

Why would any group of people capable of controlling the world revert back to a gold standard???

If people want sound money and they control the world they can just raise interest rates.

Nice try at infering I am and others are trolls.

Fact is I personally have never advocated a gold standard I'm not even a gold bug but rather a father with two small children and a worry about the resources they will be left with and the debts they will be left with.

Paper claims on the future have brought forward consumption and have wasted vast resources on the misalocation of capital that my children will have to deal with.

A sound money system could be created from fiat money if there was total transparency and adequate laws but as history shows us no politicians can be trusted and the popularity contest always wins out as is the nature of democracy.

We will end up with a gold standard eventually as we simply cannot trust ourselves as a society.

If only the paper printers truly understood what havoc they have brought on the future.

Nice try at infering I am and others are trolls.

Fact is I personally have never advocated a gold standard I'm not even a gold bug but rather a father with two small children and a worry about the resources they will be left with and the debts they will be left with.

Paper claims on the future have brought forward consumption and have wasted vast resources on the misalocation of capital that my children will have to deal with.

A sound money system could be created from fiat money if there was total transparency and adequate laws but as history shows us no politicians can be trusted and the popularity contest always wins out as is the nature of democracy.

We will end up with a gold standard eventually as we simply cannot trust ourselves as a society.

If only the paper printers truly understood what havoc they have brought on the future.

I just had a child and it does seem to create an instinct to be concerned for their future maybe?

But I dont see how you can escape the simple fact that there are too many children on earth for the available resources.

Fiat also i think enabled consumption and child birth and excesses in all things.

Meanwhile i am assuming my child will be able to have a happy life, because it appears true that all we need worry about is that there is an excess of savings and a reluctance to spend now because of fears of what might be.

:)

Focusing on debt alone is myopic because further away are piles of excess savings in abundance