THIS IS A CIVILISED INVESTMENT FORUM

Last time we had a 'problem' on here, I used the suspend button.

I then passed the decision on further action to DrBubb. I believe as a member and moderator it is my task to support (or at least not publicly question) any decision by the owner.

For that reason I have done nothing about the current 'problem', up until now.

I thought it best, after the last discussions, to see if self-moderation would succeed where moderator intervention was not universally approved before.

It has become perfectly clear to me that this forum was today at risk of going the way of so many forums before, with self questioning, and the topic moving from the subject onto the forum itself.

It has also become very obvious that many members have become very unhappy with the latest 'problem'.

For those reasons I have decided today that I cannot stand by and do nothing any longer.

The 'problem' has been COMPLETELY removed from this forum.

To those who disagree with this action, that is your right. I have made the decision, and the act is irreversible.

I do not think we need to consider this matter any further.

I think that ALL remaining members can enjoy this forum with the same ZERO level of moderator intervention that has been the case.

The only previous moderator tasks I have needed to do is remove spam.

I am sure that all members know the desire for respect of others, and the respect of copyright.

In fact general good behaviour.

I do not think any of that needs to be written down as rules. This forum has worked perfectly well before, with the general tone of it influencing behaviour.

I suggest, and it is only a suggestion, that we simply move on, and concentrate on the interesting topics we normally discuss.

No doubt things will not be so 'entertaining', but I have seen what happens when 'entertaining' is allowed to take over a forum.

This forum, and the good work of DrBubb and the members, deserves better.

Thank you

Steve

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

let's see how that rides for a few days..

please, everyone vote in the poll, and we will soon have a few more mods

the latest "problem" popped up when the old mods were a bit too busy elsewhere

It had to be done and well done.

I think it is necessary to respect everyone's opinion. But when this boils over into schitzo meglomania and bullying of others then things have to be done or see the forum pulled apart.

You did the right thing.

Jake.

+ 1

All the negative arguements just deter me from posting. I come here for peoples opions so that I can better form my own, I really dont see why some just want to pick fights.

Thanks to DrBubb and all the Mods for their hardwork keeping this site going.

Miss Manners seemed to have forgotten them. Shame, but required for the greater good.

+1 also

The nature and character of the forum was changing- I was certainly visiting less. Too many posts by charmless, conspiracy nutbags who liked the sound of their own keypad.

Hopefully things will now return back to the bone dry, in depth disscussions of some of the more esoteric economic theories that we know and love :lol: :lol:

Last time we had a 'problem' on here, I used the suspend button.

I then passed the decision on further action to DrBubb. I believe as a member and moderator it is my task to support (or at least not publicly question) any decision by the owner.

For that reason I have done nothing about the current 'problem', up until now.

I thought it best, after the last discussions, to see if self-moderation would succeed where moderator intervention was not universally approved before.

It has become perfectly clear to me that this forum was today at risk of going the way of so many forums before, with self questioning, and the topic moving from the subject onto the forum itself.

It has also become very obvious that many members have become very unhappy with the latest 'problem'.

For those reasons I have decided today that I cannot stand by and do nothing any longer.

To those who disagree with this action, that is your right. I have made the decision, and the act is irreversible.

I think that ALL remaining members can enjoy this forum with the same ZERO level of moderator intervention that has been the case.

I am sure that all members know the desire for respect of others, and the respect of copyright.

I do not think any of that needs to be written down as rules. This forum has worked perfectly well before, with the general tone of it influencing behaviour.

I suggest, and it is only a suggestion, that we simply move on, and concentrate on the interesting topics we normally discuss.

No doubt things will not be so 'entertaining', but I have seen what happens when 'entertaining' is allowed to take over a forum.

Thank you

Steve

Steve,

well said; let common sense prevail.

My goal/reason for being here is long term learning [and financial gain, though if I weren't learning I'd drop it in the morning......]

Over complicating communications will kill a forum such as this and wrap it up in red tape.

I do genuinely hope to contribute more on my next 100 posts but haven't succeeded yet..... :mellow:

thank you,

MunsterK

nothing should EVER be IRREVERSIBLE imo, that shows a closed outlook on a given situation.

Thank you

Steve

the bolded bits are good points you have made. I thought it only fair to mention the positives as well as the negatives.

I really don't like that line Steve. That's not something I would EVER write tbh.

Very dissapointed. :(

I was ready to suspend him, and probably would have do that within 24 hours or so after the next

outrageous post. The sad thing is we gave him another chance here, and he behaved badly.

GOM,

Out of interest, what would you have done differently?

He doesnt seem to react to hints, or polite warnings?

I dont really get the psychology he had, other than he wants to keep testing the limits of tolerance.

Steve,

Nothing is irreversible. But from the PM's I had, and the limit number of his postings that I read,

I am going to let this stand for the time being. You may have read more, and felt that he had

crossed the line too many times, so i will respect that, in view of your record here as a sensible

and balanced moderator.

CDS was causing more stress thru the aggressive nature of his postings, than he was adding in

insights, and his style looked more and more like an in-your-face challenge. An attaention

getting device, but not very effective if your turn off 70-80% of the readers here.

Well done Steve, thanks for that (and thanks to all the mods for the hard work).

GOM you must be a damn nice chap to be able to listen to people like that. I for one couldn't listen long enough to find the gems, it was just too noisy.

I was ready to suspend him, and probably would have do that within 24 hours or so after the next

outrageous post. The sad thing is we gave him another chance here, and he behaved badly.

GOM,

Out of interest, what would you have done differently?

He doesnt seem to react to hints, or polite warnings?

I dont really get the psychology he had, other than he wants to keep testing the limits of tolerance.

I would have intervened much earlier. I nearly did myself to try to diffuse the situation but was genuinely busy.

I agree that when it get's past a certain point you have to poss suspend posters, but I personally didn't feel he said enough to get banned.

You & Steve just made it personal imo (& a few others). It's human nature Dr Bubb, birds of a feather.....& I am not entirely knocking you. I think you do have some patientence but if your direct opinions & investment strategies go against a particular poster, but you have the power of silencing this poster, then there will only ever be one outcome.

why did no-one comment on Nicejim's horrible reference then ? answer me that please. :)

If they both call each but only one get's disciplined, is that a fair & well governed constitution then ?

imo they both had a go at each other, c'mon we all know there is history there. I think cdswamp made some mistakes in some posts & probably the amount of posts but no-one was listening to what he was saying/asking about that particular issue.

Well done Steve, thanks for that (and thanks to all the mods for the hard work).

GOM you must be a damn nice chap to be able to listen to people like that. I for one couldn't listen long enough to find the gems, it was just too noisy.

I would say that in life I am a very fair man, but I have been known to make mistakes obviously.

cdswamp has his bad points (don't we all) & I probably wouldn't have him as a very close friend, but I do like him & think he is very, very genuine guy.

I do have a lot of personal emails with him though on other topics, so I am at an advantage I suppose.

I have made the decision, and the act is irreversible.

nothing should EVER be IRREVERSIBLE imo, that shows a closed outlook on a given situation.

+ 1

Please let the dust settle on this, and always leave the door open to cdswamp or anyone who wishes to (re)join and act in a way that is not too disruptive

[for the record: I've also had a few PMs with CDS, and agree with GOM that fundamentally he's a very decent guy. He simply has some kind of personality trait (disorder?) that causes him to rub people up the wrong way - as he has openly admitted himself in previous posts]

You & Steve just made it personal imo (& a few others). It's human nature Dr Bubb, birds of a feather.....& I am not entirely knocking you. I think you do have some patientence but if your direct opinions & investment strategies go against a particular poster, but you have the power of silencing this poster, then there will only ever be one outcome.

Pretty unfair. Plenty of posters stuck the boot into DrBubb on the "Gold may be done here" thread, he took it in his stride.

In 1.5 years this forum has only been up in arms over one poster, cdswamp, and the mods have given him plenty of leeway.

why did no-one comment on Nicejim's horrible reference then ? answer me that please. :)

He doesn't do it relentlessly.

If they both call each but only one get's disciplined, is that a fair & well governed constitution then ?

cdswamp got away with hundreds of abusive posts, before getting banned (both times)

I am sad to see Swampy go as his insights were interesting but I understand why it had to be done.

The ideal situation for me would have been for no one to take the bait and then it wouldn't have exploded into the fiasco we have. But that is easy to say after the heat of the battle.

Maybe we can give him another chance in a few months?

Archived