To me it's more like, why do people worry about VAT on silver, if the pric e has been $4 in 2000, and will possibly $100 in 2011? It just seems ridiculous. The important things is that you HAVE the stuff. It's getting late, taking into account all the writings on shortages...

"Kitco currently has numerous physical gold, silver, and platinum coin and bar items in stock, available for immediate delivery. Please call for more information."

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

You have a place in Peniche?

No. Used to holiday there when I was quite young. A long time ago, when the miles of beaches had a max. of 20 people on them :D

Fond memories of a quiet unspoilt spot.

I've not been back, and wonder what it's like now. Maybe I should check on Google Earth !

Not sure you'll get this.

Why was one of batmans favourite sounds the Portuguese for bread ? :D

It's noticable how very much more in percentages terms gold and oil go up when the dollar goes down (and vica versa)

This very much suggests these exagerated gold and oil moves are being driven by speculators / hot money - especially in the case of oil (since weaker dollar and US economy should correlate with lower oil demand).

Thoughts... ?

EDIT: this post was not intended to reopen the fundamental, jewely demand, speculation debate which I've just caught up on - and where I think there's been a lot of misunderstanding as you're all correct to a degree

Thanks for the links wrongmove, though you may not be retracting the statement you may have to change it as the links do not support the statement that Physical wasn't selling at those prices, it may be better the phrase it as Physical wasn't selling 'as much' at those prices.

That may seem a bit pedantic, but I believe its necessary on a forum where the only thing we have with which to understand each others arguments are the words that are posted; unlike in normal conversation where a statement like that could be corrected in real time and not cause a fuss. A statement like 'physical wasn't selling at those prices' is simply not true as many people were buying physical, though admittedly based on your links not quite as many as before.

I'll do my best enrieb. It can just come across as patronising if I spell everything out, and I do not intend to patronise.

It's noticable how very much more in percentages terms gold and oil go up when the dollar goes down (and vica versa)

At least in the case of gold, it's a sign that the market is tiny. When people start taking fold seriously, the price could literally explode.

Why was one of batmans favourite sounds the Portuguese for bread ? :D

Do I put 'KER ...' in front of it? :)

Stop Press:- Where's the (euro chart) PPT? - I'm not all in yet; nowhere near :angry:

'Average in' they said ..... Men!! ;)

No.

Annualising the growth has no justification.

Annualising interest rates just provides a convenient means of comparison. It's not worth getting cross about... ;)

Unless your money is in zero-penalty instant-access savings, then transferring invested / saved money always has some cost, no? PMs aren't peculiar in that are they? Someone always wants their cut.

So, as with any investment, it just comes down to making some judgement call on what growth you expect, then, assuming you think it's better than what you're currently getting, making a judgement on whether it is sufficiently greater to justify the costs of moving it (or some portion of it).

Based upon the figures you gave, that represented a 60% (or so) annual equivalent growth.

Maybe you're a great investor and a piddling 60% isn't worth moving money for, but 60% would sound pretty tempting to me! :D

The world's a very interesting place at the moment, I just hope that it's still interesting when all these power struggles are over. It looks like we're going to need a global state soon, but I don't see it being lead by Russia or the US and Europe doesn't seem to be making much progress.

Annualising interest rates just provides a convenient means of comparison. It's not worth getting cross about... ;)

Unless your money is in zero-penalty instant-access savings, then transferring invested / saved money always has some cost, no? PMs aren't peculiar in that are they? Someone always wants their cut.

So, as with any investment, it just comes down to making some judgement call on what growth you expect, then, assuming you think it's better than what you're currently getting, making a judgement on whether it is sufficiently greater to justify the costs of moving it (or some portion of it).

Based upon the figures you gave, that represented a 60% (or so) annual equivalent growth.

Maybe you're a great investor and a piddling 60% isn't worth moving money for, but 60% would sound pretty tempting to me! :D

I'm certainly not cross! :o

By no justification, I meant that the growth over the next three months would be driven by physical demand, particularly the Indian wedding season.

But this would not continue for a year. In fact demand from this source will actually likely fall back again after the 3 month period.

And, this growth is not guarenteed - of course one would expect more gain from a risky investment. For me, due to transaction costs and the short period, the additional gain is not enough for the additional risk (all based on this "bullish" article).

:P

Commodities bubble has burst. WAIT...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

CRB Commodity Index Heads for Biggest Weekly Jump in 33 Years

Aug. 21 (Bloomberg) -- The Reuters/Jefferies CRB Index of 19 commodities soared, heading for the biggest weekly gain in 33 years, as rising energy costs and a weakening dollar revived demand for raw materials as alternative investments.

(DOUBLE post, sorry)

...time to shake hands guys ???

Stop press

B.Bulls says BUY OIL on the daily indicator [CRUD ETF ticker] this could be the commodity revival we've been waiting for!

Currently $114 for Brent crude.

+ its just above its 200D SMA average from my view point.

I m sounding confident here :o

- oh be careful too!

Wayhey BOING off 200D SMA

$ 120

Graph of bounce

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/charts/bi...&mocktick=1

From Dow Jones Newswire

As worries swirled anew around Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, a Citigroup analyst predicted more mortgage-related write-downs from Lehman Brothers, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, and the firm lowered its third-quarter estimates on the brokerages.

"Adding to the buying today were reports that central banks are apparently choosing to hold on to their gold and could bring the lowest amount of gold disposals to the market since 1999," Nadler said.

Analysis of the COT data from www.cotstimer.blogspot.com

Monday, August 18, 2008

Markets Lean Bullish for Commodities, Indecisive for Equities

Are commodities finally done? Are equities back for good? Not so far, says regulatory data issued Friday. The latest Commitments of Traders report, which highlights trillions in dollars of positioning in over 100 markets, suggests the U.S. dollar is still in trouble, that commodities may have bottomed (at least temporarily) and that equities face more headwinds. You can check out my signals from my trading setups based on this data at the table linked here. Also see my newly updated portfolio page for my latest positions. Some highlights:

- Still no sign of better times from my trading setup for the S&P 500. The commercial traders remain decisively negatory with their net position as a percentage of the total open interest. My commercials signal is in bearish mode. The other signal in this setup - based on fading the small trader total open interest - is in bullish mode. Since these two signals don't agree, this setup remains in cash. As well, because of the three-week trade delay for both signals, there is no possibility of a new signal before Sept. 12 at this point.

- My Russell 2000 setup has gone bearish for this week. But I should note this is a short-term trade that will last only one week. This is another combined setup that follows the signals of two groups of traders, when they agree. Based on the trade delays for the two signals, the overall setup will either go to cash or bullish as of the open, Aug. 25.

- My setup for silver is in bullish mode and is showing the second-most bullish reading in relation to historic positioning since the data started in 1995. The commercial traders are now 2.7 standard deviations above the moving average I use for this setup in their net position as a percentage of the total open interest in silver futures and options. This, coupled with the fact that commercial traders in the U.S. dollar index are at a historic extreme in their bearish positioning, suggests the recent rally in the greenback is done (at least for now).

There is gold and there is fool's gold.

Gold has run out.

Fool's gold is more abundant than ever. Buy some at http://www.exchangetradedgold.com

MUHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121928079980258833.html

The Eagle Has Been Grounded

As gold prices tumbled from their highest level ever, investors and collectors loaded up on one-ounce "American eagle" gold-bullion coins. The buying spree came to an abrupt halt this week after the U.S. Mint stopped selling the coins for the first time since production began 20 years ago.

"Due to the unprecedented demand...our inventories have been depleted," the Mint -- part of the U.S. Treasury Department -- told its dealers Friday. "We are therefore temporarily suspending all sales of these coins."

http://www.kitco.com/

"Kitco currently has numerous physical gold, silver, and platinum coin and bar items in stock, available for immediate delivery. Please call for more information."

:unsure:

I bet they are available for immediate delivery as long as you keep them stored in your account with them.

http://www.kitco.com

Demand for bullion products has increased significantly in recent days. As a result, we may experience delays in supply and possibly delays in processing and shipping by our vaults.